Medusa Worm Eradication?

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched and didn’t really find info on getting rid of them. I have them. Not sure how but do abs have removed about 30 so far using feeding badgers sucking them up. While they are a cuc, they do carry toxins they can release. So I want them out. Unfortunately most rock is glued together. I get out what I see and can reach when lights are out.

Anything reef safe that can kill them? They self reproduce so I’m not sure if manual removal is enough since I can’t see or get to all sides of the rocks.

Flatworm exit work? Kalk paste? Apparently no predators because of the toxins and leaving bad taste in fishes mouth. Plus harmful to fish with the toxins so I have carbon on the way.

The pics and vids are hard to tell but multiple people have verified Medusa worms. I see no legs on the body. Only a handful of tentacles at the head. Kinda clear looking.

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B0C0582C-B6DA-4B9F-8E04-E741466064AA.jpeg
C16ABF87-9422-4165-8126-698D472A1200.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, not something you see everyday in this hobby, kind of cool.

As with most worms food availability dictates population.

I would remove what you see manually repeatedly and limit the amount of suspended foods in the water column and those foods that accumulate on the sand bed, long story short if able reducing feedings significantly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My best suggestion would be a fish or bristleworm trap. You can make a made one from 2 litr bottle as shown below.
The Medusa Worm is actually a type of sea cucumber with skin that has sticky cells allowing it to stick to any surface, so you may get lucky and see it in a spot where you can trap it with a net and scoop it out.
Medusa Worms are tan or green in color and although they are regarded as beneficial tank mates keeping things clean since they are particle feeders that do not require supplementary feeding, they can secrete a deadly toxin if they become stressed out or injured so they should not be kept with any occupants such as wrasses may harm them. Medusa Worms are fast growers and can grow quite large in reef aquariums.

trap.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I’m shocked anyone would want these if they have fish because of potential toxins. Sucking them out has worked great and hasn’t affected the clowns. I do have a Lubbock wrasse in QT. I will try that trap technic. That would require them to leave the cozy rock they are on but that makes removal from tank very easy. Here is a vid from before I had an ID and was freaking out. Lol

Sucks no known predators. Not even certain crabs?

I ordered some flatworm exit. I’m going to test it out in a Tupperware container with a couple. If it works I’ll remove the clowns and treat tank and run carbon. Then put clowns back in.

Attachments

• 3B8E1ACB-01CF-4F26-8AE7-108C7212A991.MOV
    87.3 MB

Kjgaeta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck getting them out of your aquarium? I have an infestation and have hundreds in my tank.

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck getting them out of your aquarium? I have an infestation and have hundreds in my tank.

I honestly haven’t looked for them in a while. I made the decision to start over and took the opportunity to upgrade. So I’m in process of plumbing a 120g and will use all new rock.

I was sucking them out every night. I’d get about 5-10 each night. I was using a pipette or syringe to remove them. I bought multiple chemicals/treatments to see what worked best or fastest. I was going to remove the rock and treat it with high concentration of whatever I felt worked best.

Kjgaeta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly haven’t looked for them in a while. I made the decision to start over and took the opportunity to upgrade. So I’m in process of plumbing a 120g and will use all new rock.

I was sucking them out every night. I’d get about 5-10 each night. I was using a pipette or syringe to remove them. I bought multiple chemicals/treatments to see what worked best or fastest. I was going to remove the rock and treat it with high concentration of whatever I felt worked best.
At this point what I have done is took all fish, inverts, coral out of my Red Sea 750 XXL and tried to kill it with water at 90 degree's. Unfortunately they are still doing well so I am going to try going to a high Salinity or Low Salinity and see if that gets rid of them. I am sorry for your bad experience.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At this point what I have done is took all fish, inverts, coral out of my Red Sea 750 XXL and tried to kill it with water at 90 degree's. Unfortunately they are still doing well so I am going to try going to a high Salinity or Low Salinity and see if that gets rid of them. I am sorry for your bad experience.
Low salinity

Kjgaeta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t believe when I reached a certain salinity all the Medusa worms and other worms all started floating. It was a crazy sight to see. Hundreds floating!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I Actually ended up going high. It worked flawlessly. Only downfall is I wasted pretty much a whole bucket of salt. Going to keep it high for a few days!
It burned them up. Low will remove their protective slime and do the same

Last edited:

medaigle8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the most info I've found on killing them. There's not much out there. I have a 75g and am currently dealing with an infestation. They are driving me crazy.

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It burned them up. Low will remove their protective slime and do the same
Hey I’m having a big issue with them I lost a white tail colt tang and believe the toxins caused it do you have a idea or know the exact number or range of salinity? Thanks so much I need the help lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey I’m having a big issue with them I lost a white tail colt tang and believe the toxins caused it do you have a idea or know the exact number or range of salinity? Thanks so much I need the help lol
If youre saying you still have those worms, I am not a fan of high temperature but a sure bet is a dose of Prazi Pro which is reef safe but kills worms.
Salinity range for hyposalinity is 1.012
For parasites- 1.009

Back