Melafix in DT?

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just set up a new tank after nearly 18 months out of the hobby. I bought a beautiful Coral Beauty Angel (colors are stunning compared to other CB Angels), but the poor guy has popeye. I have never had a fish with a bacterial infection in many years of this hobby, so I had to read up on solutions. Melafix was recommended by many different reliable sources. I do not have any coral in my tank yet, so I thought rather than setting up a QT tank ( I know I should have one anyway), I would just treat my DT with the Melafix. I have one other fish only. Any problems treating a FOWLR tank with Melafix?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about its effects on inverts and possibly being absorbed by the rock.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it in the DT for many reasons including soaking into rocks/sand, effect on other inhabitants, amount needed to keep it at the level required to treat the popeye...

I treated popeye successfully in a QT tank with Melafix Marine and Epsom Salts. Do a quick search for my thread and instructions are in there. It took a few weeks, but the fish is living healthy again now.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the stuff to dip corals kills all sorts of pods and worms. also it will make your skimmer foam up so much its insane. i wouldnt use it in a DT

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad ya couldn't use spinach but that might make his fin muscles swell up and launch him through the glass. Oh wait wrong popeye

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back