Melafix in DT?

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just set up a new tank after nearly 18 months out of the hobby. I bought a beautiful Coral Beauty Angel (colors are stunning compared to other CB Angels), but the poor guy has popeye. I have never had a fish with a bacterial infection in many years of this hobby, so I had to read up on solutions. Melafix was recommended by many different reliable sources. I do not have any coral in my tank yet, so I thought rather than setting up a QT tank ( I know I should have one anyway), I would just treat my DT with the Melafix. I have one other fish only. Any problems treating a FOWLR tank with Melafix?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about its effects on inverts and possibly being absorbed by the rock.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it in the DT for many reasons including soaking into rocks/sand, effect on other inhabitants, amount needed to keep it at the level required to treat the popeye...

I treated popeye successfully in a QT tank with Melafix Marine and Epsom Salts. Do a quick search for my thread and instructions are in there. It took a few weeks, but the fish is living healthy again now.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the stuff to dip corals kills all sorts of pods and worms. also it will make your skimmer foam up so much its insane. i wouldnt use it in a DT

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad ya couldn't use spinach but that might make his fin muscles swell up and launch him through the glass. Oh wait wrong popeye

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back