Melanarus wrasse

calvertc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just got one of these melanarus wrasses for a steal yesterday and I was wondering will he pick on my fire shrimp or my pistolshrimp/goby pair?? he was out yesterday but now he is hiding

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just got one of these melanarus wrasses for a steal yesterday and I was wondering will he pick on my fire shrimp or my pistolshrimp/goby pair?? he was out yesterday but now he is hiding
Yes, they will attempt it Depending on the Melanarus size they can rip shrimp to pieces. Also once they establish a hierarchy you most likely wont be able to add any other wrasses or fish with similar body shapes.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree they will eat shrimp, especially as they grow.....but IMO depending on your tank size Melanarus Wrasses and Halichoeres Wrasses in general are not as agressive as other kinds of Wrasses, like the lined Wrasses or Thalasoma Wrasses. I have 14 Wrasses in a 200 gallon with a male Melanarus. He doesn't bother my other Wrasses, including my six Leopards. Keep in mind that is a general statement though. Every fish is different and has their own personality. [emoji16]

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Melanarus I truly enjoyed... for about a month. He ate my clean up crew like it was his job. I have 3 cleaner shrimp and 1 blood that he never approached though.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet that your existing shrimp will be fine, especially if the melanurus is a juvenile.

It is normal for the new wrasse to hide a bit, until it gets used to things. They do hide and sleep in the sand.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMHO it depends on the size of the Shrimp. Larger ones (ie big fire shrimp) will probably be left alone but smaller ones are fair game. I had an established cleaner shrimp in my reef that my wrasse never bothered (actually hated being tickled by it's antennae) but after it passed on, I added another smaller cleaner shrimp. The next morning I came in to find pieces of the shrimp and both my Melanurus Wrasse and my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel were tearing it apart. Not sure if it died in the night (didn't look like it acclimated well) and they were just feasting on the fresh corpse or if the wrasse directly killed it. Either way I have avoided shrimp since. Only the small red legged hermits in my tank now (since they can hide well in the rockwork and are dirt cheap to buy).

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly agree with Op's above . Depends on fish/shrimp size, tank size etc. Iv'e had a few & find these wrasses are pretty mellow . All I had was a large cleaner shrimp though . So no experience with small shrimp. Also I'd think a shrimp /goby would be safe .

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus temperaments can vary greatly between individuals. Most are a good community fish, that is fine with other wrasses, but will be at the top of the hierarchy. And some few will behave aggressively toward other wrasses. Some will leave motile inverts alone, while others are ravenous hunters.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been a model citizen in the 4 years I've had him. Never touched any of the CUC including a cleaner and fire shrimp, with the only exception of peppermint that I added to help with aptasia but I chalk that up to their very small size. No issues with other fish besides a short chase of the flasher wrasse to remind him whos boss.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus temperaments can vary greatly between individuals. Most are a good community fish, that is fine with other wrasses, but will be at the top of the hierarchy. And some few will behave aggressively toward other wrasses. Some will leave motile inverts alone, while others are ravenous hunters.

Mine is weird, it doesn't actively target my Blue Star Leopard (other than when it was first introduced) but it does get pretty territorial during feeding time. My Blue Star Leopard is surprisingly resilient and resourceful though so it still sneaks in and gets plenty of food. They circle and flair fins but I have never seen an actual bite or chasing from one end of the tank to the other. Occasionally the Blue Star Leopard gets bold and will charge the Melanurus when it's back is turned (I think it's way of getting some of it's own back). Once again though no biting or injuries. They have been like this for months and they all get a chance to eat and swim around well so I don't worry about it too much.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back