Melanuras Wrasse Poking at Glass

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a melanuras wrasse 3 days ago and he has been swimming back and forth on the bottom of the glass of my quarantine tank. It looks like he is looking for sand, but during the night, he sleeps in my container with sand. I dropped some pellet food but did not bother to eat them. I dropped some the day before and they were gone today, so I figured that he ate them. I am not currently dosing anything and is in a 20 gal tank by itself.
5d74240e567654ddd671be661853ee96.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For food, try some selcon coated mysis or LRS Reef Frenzy, the melanurus I used to have would go absolutely nuts for that stuff.

As far as the picking at the glass goes, it could be seeing something on the underside it wants to get at or it may be doing something with its reflection. Fish are also just weird sometimes.

OP
OP
Coral Hygiene

Coral Hygiene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For food, try some selcon coated mysis or LRS Reef Frenzy, the melanurus I used to have would go absolutely nuts for that stuff.

As far as the picking at the glass goes, it could be seeing something on the underside it wants to get at or it may be doing something with its reflection. Fish are also just weird sometimes.

Alright, thanks. I’ll have to try some of that Reef Frenzy. So I shouldn’t worry about this behavior?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks. I’ll have to try some of that Reef Frenzy. So I shouldn’t worry about this behavior?
Only if it starts showing signs of declining health or doesn't eat anything.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may be trying to dive through the bottom to the dark, perceived secure "cave" that is the inside of your stand. You could try taping some kraft paper to the bottom of the tank, so he will turn his focus away from the bottom plate.

~Bruce

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently put a melanurus wrasse through QT and noticed this behavior as well. Mine loves to pick at everything, and seeing himself and sand particles move in the bottom sent him picking. Didn't cause any problems, and made it through QT just fine, so shouldn't be a cause for alarm.

Back