Melanurus of Doom.

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to tell you guys about my male 4 inch melanurus wrasse. Said to be peaceful and reef safe by most, mine would be an exception. A wonderful gem but don't be fooled by its looks. This is a hardcore serial killer and destroyer of properties. When I first got it, it was in the QT along with a foxface. One day, my foxface started to wither and die out of thin air. It was speculated by another member that the cause of death was the menacing sole presence of this melanurus wrasse. I didn't buy this at first but what happens later changed my mind. Some time later, I purchased a black cap jawfish. Absolutely awesome looking lil dude, always wanted something unique like this. At the time I got it, the wrasse was sleeping in the sand. When I woke up the day after, it was SAVAGELY beaten by the melanurus wrasse. I didn't have anywhere else to place it so I put it in an acclimation box within the QT. One day when I came back from the outside, the jawfish was gone. The lid had opened by itself. It was not in the tank, it was not around the tank. There was a 5 gal bucket by the tank with waste water and there it is. Heavily breathing and injured in the bucket. How lucky was it to jump into a body of water! Except its salinity was at 50 ppt. That's not all. After I finally Qted it and put it in my display tank, everytime I feed my corals, it would nip and rip my corals apart. I even found it shredding clove polyps once even though there was no coral food on it. It also started to attack the new bangaii cardinals which I introduced. I was done with it so I decided to banish it to the sump with some sand. Today, I decided to return it to the DT because I forgot the menace it was and immediately it started to show aggression to the cardinals and rip off tentacles from my euphyilias when I fed them. Anyways, that's my little rant/experience with a single male melanurus devil.

TLDR: Absolute bully and terror to new fish, destroyer of innocent corals, NOT reef safe OR peaceful from my experience.

melanurus.png

Last edited:

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on hold at my LFS that I'm picking up in about an hour... this made me LOL but is also making me nervous, not gonna lie! He'd be the smallest fish in my tank besides my male clownfish though, so hopefully that would deter him from terrorizing everyone. He better not disrupt the peace! I'll report back. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on hold at my LFS that I'm picking up in about an hour... this made me LOL but is also making me nervous, not gonna lie! He'd be the smallest fish in my tank besides my male clownfish though, so hopefully that would deter him from terrorizing everyone. He better not disrupt the peace! I'll report back. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Mine is very peaceful, although may be responsible for a few empty snail shells!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is very peaceful, although may be responsible for a few empty snail shells!
Good to know! I have a ton of snails (the dwarf ceriths keep reproducing like rabbits), so it could pick some off and not affect anything really. So far, I've found my darn hermit crabs to be the snail murderers! So annoying. I'm going to add some more empty shells so they stop doing that. I'm excited about the wrasse - they're so beautiful!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the savior of my tank. I put a hortulanus wrasse in and my mela attacked it quite viciously which is never seen it do before. So I caught it and put in my spare tank. The next day the hortulanus came out an immediately went after all the smaller fish. In 3 days it killed a firefish, a longnose hawk, and some shrimp as well as injuring others. It also refused to be caught. So I panicked and added the mela back.
Problem was very quickly solved.
B6C47AAC-76C9-4034-81D8-0D81EC395F09.jpeg

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse came out of hiding today! My big tomini tang is chasing him a lot, but he seems to be holding his own. Can't be TOO bothered or he'd dive into the sand. He's so pretty!
20220812_193951.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would like to tell you guys about my male 4 inch melanurus wrasse. Said to be peaceful and reef safe by most, mine would be an exception. A wonderful gem but don't be fooled by its looks. This is a hardcore serial killer and destroyer of properties. When I first got it, it was in the QT along with a foxface. One day, my foxface started to wither and die out of thin air. It was speculated by another member that the cause of death was the menacing sole presence of this melanurus wrasse. I didn't buy this at first but what happens later changed my mind. Some time later, I purchased a black cap jawfish. Absolutely awesome looking lil dude, always wanted something unique like this. At the time I got it, the wrasse was sleeping in the sand. When I woke up the day after, it was SAVAGELY beaten by the melanurus wrasse. I didn't have anywhere else to place it so I put it in an acclimation box within the QT. One day when I came back from the outside, the jawfish was gone. The lid had opened by itself. It was not in the tank, it was not around the tank. There was a 5 gal bucket by the tank with waste water and there it is. Heavily breathing and injured in the bucket. How lucky was it to jump into a body of water! Except its salinity was at 50 ppt. That's not all. After I finally Qted it and put it in my display tank, everytime I feed my corals, it would nip and rip my corals apart. I even found it shredding clove polyps once even though there was no coral food on it. It also started to attack the new bangaii cardinals which I introduced. I was done with it so I decided to banish it to the sump with some sand. Today, I decided to return it to the DT because I forgot the menace it was and immediately it started to show aggression to the cardinals and rip off tentacles from my euphyilias when I fed them. Anyways, that's my little rant/experience with a single male melanurus devil.

TLDR: Absolute bully and terror to new fish, destroyer of innocent corals, NOT reef safe OR peaceful from my experience.

melanurus.png
Ive had a couple B A D ones myself and reason I no longer keep one. Same with red coris wrasse who flips every coral and frag over in search of food

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, oh. Just came back from the LFS with a Melanarus today, acclimating as I write this. Keeping my fingers crossed...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melanurus.png
What size tank

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, oh. Just came back from the LFS with a Melanarus today, acclimating as I write this. Keeping my fingers crossed...
How's it going with the wrasse today? Mine took 2 days to come out of hiding, but now he's been out and about. My tomini tang is being a huge jerk and chasing him around though. The melanurus seems downright peaceful in comparison, just minds his own business.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back