Melanurus wrasse female in heat?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: it's been 5 months since I added the smaller male.........

First I want to say it's "not" that I don't want to take your advice and separate them. The tank's too big and they're too fast for me. To tear the tank apart would cause a lot of stress to my other valueable fish, not to mention a lot of work...........

Slowly but surely, the larger female has gained color and now has almost the same color as the smaller male................

Strangely they get along fine "before" the tank light comes on at 4pm, when the larger one would get very aggressive. It would not take long before the smaller one dives into the sand. This routine has lasted for 3 months already. The smaller one gets out at least an hour earlier so he gets food, plus another meal before the tank light comes on. So health wise he's fine.

So far it seems that the larger one is unable to "locate" where the smaller one sleeps. What if he finds him?

Invest in a Fish Trap, it will save you a lot of headache and hassle. You can try a homemade one out of a water/soda bottle, but Wrasses are pretty smart and not easily duped. One of these will run you $40-$42 and it will work, you just have to be patient. You could try a mirror in the back and see if the more aggressive one goes for it, but it may take a little time:

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news:

A week after my last report on July 11, the "larger" one mysteriously disappeared for 2 days. Fearing that it may have jumped out, I looked all over with no success. On the 3rd day just after the tank light came on at feeding time, it re-appeared, but was immediately harassed by the smaller male!

He chased him/her( still not in full male color) relentlessly for 2 minutes until it dived into the sand.

Luckily, I was able to see the exact location where it hid. I used a net and slowly pushed it into the sand, caught it together with a handful of sand. Yes!( I was told "never" dig out a wrasse but I guess this may be the only exception?)

Now he/she is in the refugium where there are other small fish including a small Christmas Wrasse. The Melanurus would attack the Christmas sometimes but so far has not done any damages. He's quick and there are lot's of hiding places. As long as the Christmas can feed normally I'm not too concerned now. Boy I read these fish were supposed to be "peaceful".......

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back