melanurus wrasse in hiding

ReeferNoob77

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2016
Messages
103
Reaction score
49
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of melanurus wrasse that has decided to go into hiding for the past month. When I stir up the sand were they are they come out and eat and seem fine, then go back to hiding. It has been about a month now is this normal?
 
I have a pair of melanurus wrasse that has decided to go into hiding for the past month. When I stir up the sand were they are they come out and eat and seem fine, then go back to hiding. It has been about a month now is this normal?
No, that's not normal. Usually when that happens it is due to aggression shown toward them.
 
I haven't added any new fish to the system, not sure were the aggression would come from. They share the tank with 1 other wrasse, not sure what type, two tangs, a few chromis, a marine beta, and a few cardinals. It's a 300g tank so they have more than enough room. I will wake them up, feed, and watch maybe I can figure something out.

Thanks.
 
I haven't added any new fish to the system, not sure were the aggression would come from. They share the tank with 1 other wrasse, not sure what type, two tangs, a few chromis, a marine beta, and a few cardinals. It's a 300g tank so they have more than enough room. I will wake them up, feed, and watch maybe I can figure something out.

Thanks.
Depending on what species the other wrasse is, that would be my prime suspect, but I have also on rare occasion had tangs be aggressive to wrasses.
 
Still need to watch for aggression but here is a pic of the other wrasse.
IMG_20170614_164622786.jpg
IMG_20170614_164608317.jpg
 
Still need to watch for aggression but here is a pic of the other wrasse.
IMG_20170614_164622786.jpg
IMG_20170614_164608317.jpg
Halichoeres chloropterus. They can be pretty aggressive to other wrasses. I would be willing to wager that he is the cause for the hiding melanurus wrasses.
 
I would be willing to wager that he is the cause for the hiding melanurus wrasses.
I'll double your wager...
Not a very friendly species.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new