melanurus wrasse missing/hiding for 3 days

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tanggy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tanggy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2017
Messages
441
Reaction score
293
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanurus wrasse for about 1 year now. He's been missing for about 3 days now. NO obvious sign of stress/disease. He's been eating/swimming normal before he went missing. No bullying. Should I wait a few more days before I go hunting for him. I think I know where he normally sleep. Thanks.
 
I'd wait a few days then search. A few questions please.
Is the tank covered? they are jumpers
Did you search real good around the tank & in the overflows?
Do You have nasarious snails? These snails are voracious & will eat an entire fish very quickly!
 
I learned the hard way about tight fitting top cover. Lost a leopard wrasse 8-9 months ago. My cover is tight sealed. I do have nasarious snail. Are they known to eat fish?
 
Hope yours is okay. I had one go missing. After ~6 months I was doing something in the tank and found it in the OF...gah, I couldn't believe it was still healthy and ok. It was happy to get back into the DT.

Have you checked your OF?
 
I see no real point in going digging for it - it’s either fine or it’s not. Generally, behavior change in an established fish is not a good thing. I’d certainly consider that it may have jumped. Unless your system is right on the edge, a single dead fish won’t generate ammonia.
 
Agreed. No cause for cocern yet.

I see no real point in going digging for it - it’s either fine or it’s not. Generally, behavior change in an established fish is not a good thing. I’d certainly consider that it may have jumped. Unless your system is right on the edge, a single dead fish won’t generate ammonia.

Agree.

I see that he’s now out, is he acting normally?
 
Update: just got home and he's hiding again. When I saw him out this morning he seems a bit spooked. At least I know he's still alive. Hopefully he'll recover from what he's going through.
 
Update: just got home and he's hiding again. When I saw him out this morning he seems a bit spooked. At least I know he's still alive. Hopefully he'll recover from what he's going through.

Mine went through a phase like that last year. He hid for 3 days and then returned. I think it’s pretty normal for them to do that from time to time as long as they’re eating.
 
Update: just got home and he's hiding again. When I saw him out this morning he seems a bit spooked. At least I know he's still alive. Hopefully he'll recover from what he's going through.
Well, I hope it’s no big deal and he recovers fine!
 
I came home today for lunch and he was out. Seems like he's being bullied by the lineatus wrasse. Weird thing is the Melanarus was the one that bullied the lineatus before (occasional short chases). Seems like the table are turned. He's hiding right now. I'll keep a close eye on them and if this bullying continues, i'll probably have to part with the melanurus...
 
Very typical although a good meal always brings them out.
When missing: Its that they are hiding or have jumped. Hiding is likely
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new