Melanurus Wrasse question???

Rabidgoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are sand sleepers and really should be kept as such. They also bury when frightened so I think for longevity sake at least a small container with 2-3 inches of sand should be used.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need sand, what i see people do with bb tanks is add a tupperware container of sand to their tank for the wrasse to use. Needs to be a few inches deep, and a diameter at least a few times wider than the fish's length.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can put a Tupperware bowl of sand behind your rock work then the wrasse will hide and sleep in that bowl of sand. It doesn't have to be anything large, just enough for your wrasse to hide in.

smoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that having sand for them is the best environment for them but I won't go as far as to say that they need sand to survive. Wrasses are highly adaptable and I have seen many species do well in bare bottom tanks. You can try any of these methods and if one works great but results for each fish will likely very.

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 bad experiences with Mel wrasse. Both devoured all my hermits and snails. Not reef safe guaranteed. Both were large

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 bad experiences with Mel wrasse. Both devoured all my hermits and snails. Not reef safe guaranteed. Both were large

They are reef (coral) safe, just not invert safe.... don't blame the wrasse for its nature, look into your research (or lack of) before buying.... but then again you didn't learn your lesson after the 1st one and decided to try a 2nd and still blame it on the fish :crossedlips:

Spotted jawfish:
I personally would not put a sand dwelling wrasse in a tank with absolutely no sand. However, as some have mentioned you can add a container with a few inches of sand that is atleast a couple inches bigger then the wrasses adult size and that would be alot better then no sand at all, and your wrasse will be alot happier. Don't be surprised tho if you need to "top off" the sand periodically though, and find sand around the tank with this method either.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back