melanurus wrasse stays buried

AP_Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would add an update that this wrasse is still doing fine and has been a very resilient fish.
Question.. I added a melanurus to my tank about 6 weeks ago and it instantly buried into the sand. It came out for 30 seconds about a day later and then buried again and I haven’t seen it since.
Is it possible that it is still alive?
tank is 5’ with an abundance of hiding places

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a webcam, you can check the recording to see if it comes out. I have mine for over two years and it still only comes out for a few minutes, usually when my autofeeder drops food. If I’m around to watch them feed, it will go back in hiding without eating. I’ve had time when I did not see it for weeks and considered it dead, but then one day, saw it again. So unless you see the dead body, it is very likely just hiding.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I once had a yellow Wrasse of some sort (it was much too long ago to remember what kind), and I thought for sure he did some carpet-surfing. I searched the tank (including tubing) and all around the outside of the tank with a flashlight. I couldn’t find him. It was a puzzlement for sure. Then I went over to the tank one day, maybe a month or two later, and there he was— bright yellow— swimming around with his friends. Lol.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question.. I added a melanurus to my tank about 6 weeks ago and it instantly buried into the sand. It came out for 30 seconds about a day later and then buried again and I haven’t seen it since.
Is it possible that it is still alive?
tank is 5’ with an abundance of hiding places

Just leave him alone. I have a Timor wrasse that once stayed buried for 38 days, then came out for a few hours, ate and then buried itself for another 9 days. That was 2 years ago and I still have him. He still stays buried for a week or two regularly

They usually un bury themselves if they are going to die

Last edited:

AP_Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. Was worried about losing it. It’s a shame though that it’s not swimming around, it would been nice to see it :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back