Melanurus Wrasse swimming into my LTA unharmed?!

Reef Craver16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just moved my huge Green Long tentacle anemone into my 55g, and I noticed today that my melanurus wrasses keeps going into it! I'm nervous he is going to drop his life expectancy real quick. It is weird because the tentacles aren't being stimulated at all, he goes in I think picks at w/e is in the nems mouth and leaves.. I'm guessing his scales are protecting him but I feel like he will be food one day. Anyone have this happen before or know anything about it?

OP
OP
R

Reef Craver16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see.

Attachments

• Melanurus in LTA.jpeg
    Melanurus in LTA.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Melanurus in LTA2.jpeg
    Melanurus in LTA2.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 245

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy fish have a slime coat that protects them from the stings of some anemones.
In fact juveniles of some species of wrasse seek protection in the tentacles of an anemone. Not melanurus that I know of, but of some near relatives.

OP
OP
R

Reef Craver16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy fish have a slime coat that protects them from the stings of some anemones.
In fact juveniles of some species of wrasse seek protection in the tentacles of an anemone. Not melanurus that I know of, but of some near relatives.
That's good to know, just nervous if melanurus sp. aren't ones wholook for nems. Also he is a good 3.5-4'' long, is it still juvenile?

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel any better .... I had a male melanurus that did the same thing with my huge LTA ..... he made me nervous for at least 6 months. Had a tailspot blenny that was considerably smaller do the same thing. I ended up getting rid of the wrasse for other reasons (his mate was eating my clams) .... and just recently had to re-home the LTA ..... the blenny now plays with fire in my BTA... go figure.

OP
OP
R

Reef Craver16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel any better .... I had a male melanurus that did the same thing with my huge LTA ..... he made me nervous for at least 6 months. Had a tailspot blenny that was considerably smaller do the same thing. I ended up getting rid of the wrasse for other reasons (his mate was eating my clams) .... and just recently had to re-home the LTA ..... the blenny now plays with fire in my BTA... go figure.
Ok well it seems he made it, I will just hve to wait an hope he breaks this habit.. lol thanks for response.

Get a clownfish and it won't let other fish near it.
I have 2 ocellaris clowns but thy are tank bred and don't know to go in it.. I do have a clarkii in another tank and he hosts any and everything, which im debating on adding. But he is a territorial SOB. gets real nasty even to me. I wonder if it will be okay to mix the 3 clowns..

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I don't believe that is an M. doreensis (( LTA )), but is an E. quadricolor (( BTA )) instead.

As for added the clarkii (( or any 3rd clown )), IMO/E, I see one thing happening --- you having a Clarkii and 2 dead clowns.

Rutrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I don't believe that is an M. doreensis (( LTA )), but is an E. quadricolor (( BTA )) instead.

As for added the clarkii (( or any 3rd clown )), IMO/E, I see one thing happening --- you having a Clarkii and 2 dead clowns.

Agreed on both counts. The tentacles look too close to be an LTA.

More than a pair of clowns in all but the largest tanks never seems to end well.

jstec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a six line do the same thing and then my sulfur damsel tried it and he became lunch :(

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape a picture of clowns being hosted by a nem on the side of your tank closest to the nem (ideally the same clowns with the same nem that you have). This has worked for many people believe it or not.

OP
OP
R

Reef Craver16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's some more pics of the nem, and tell me.. I am only going with what the LFS told me, if so awesome deal on it for $30 that size and color.

Tape a picture of clowns being hosted by a nem on the side of your tank closest to the nem (ideally the same clowns with the same nem that you have). This has worked for many people believe it or not.

Lol I've heard of this method, i'll give it a shot and let you know how it works.

Attachments

• LTA2.jpg
    LTA2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 140
  • LTA.jpeg
    LTA.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 144

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back