Melanurus wrasse was sick/blind and now buried.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!!

I wanted to ask if any of you had ever heard of something like this. The other day I fed my tang and usually my melanurus wrasse flys through and steals the nori. I watch him do this everyday and it’s been like this for the last two years. Yesterday I noticed he didn’t do it and made me worry until I found him by a rock just laying on his side. The weird thing is there is no signs of any issues, eyes are super clear and he isn’t breathing heavily at all. Today he didn’t eat but swam around bumping into rock and corals as if he was blind. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. Another day goes by and I winged it by dosing prazipro into the display. I’ve done it a long time ago and I knew I wasn’t going to catch the wrasse. (Dosed prazipro bc I’ve heard that flukes can do stuff like this but who knows)

The following day he swam a little more than usually but still seemed to periodically rest on the sand. Yesterday he finally decided to bury himself into the sand and have seen him since.

Should I just let it be?

Can a wrasse die under sand?

I don’t really want to do anything that will stress it out more.

Thanks everyone.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would leave it be while sleeping in the sand. I wouldn't want to stress it out further.

However, if he is blind-ish, might be easier to catch when it is out and about.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is he? I had a grey head wrasse do something similar before dying of old age.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this thread with interest. (From what I know— leave him be, and let him stay buried as long as he wants, even if it turns out to be for days in end.)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back