OP
OP
J

Jose padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go to your LFS and get the smallest bag of live sand they have. You could also just put the sand into a container if you don’t want it on the bottom of your tank. I’d find a 8-10” container fill it with sand and see if your wrasse will make that his home, if he does I also wouldn’t be surprised if if he stays in it for a long period of time at first.
Sadly it was sick and didnt make it through the night

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s important to doa little research before purchasing livestock. Live aquaria is a good source for a quick rundown of requirements before you purchase

+1. I do this before I purchase any livestock. I typically look the animal up on LA right there in the store.

OP
OP
J

Jose padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s important to doa little research before purchasing livestock. Live aquaria is a good source for a quick rundown of requirements before you purchase
I did its just that the fish was showing signs of being sick at my lfs

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did its just that the fish was showing signs of being sick at my lfs
A fish that's sick at the LFS is usually not a good acquisition. While some experts can cure sick fish, most of us hobbyists cannot. Bringing home a sick fish and then immediately putting it into your aquarium is problematic for several reasons.

1. Without using a QT system, you're introducing a known sick (diseased) animal to the rest of your population, thereby exposing them to disease. This puts all of your animals at risk, and if nothing else, is a significant risk to your investment in those animals. Without knowing what disease the animal has, you have no way of knowing what you're exposing your others fish to.

2. Placing a sick fish directly into the DT minimizes your ability to observe the animal for the signs of its disease, identify that disease, and properly treat that disease. If you have corals, the treatment may be harmful to them. Trying to catch the fish for treatment may also lead to additional stress to an already compromised animal.

3. A sick fish is less likely to compete for food in your DT. Assuming he was still eating, chances are he cannot out compete the healthy fish in the tank, further compromising his immune system.

Bottom line, don't but sick fish. And if you accidentally do, this highlights why a QT tank is so strongly recommended. Even if you don't QT for the full recommended time, a few days in a QT allows you to observe the animal before placing it in you DT and exposing your population.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back