Melanurus wrasse

Jose padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently purchased A yellow angelfish and a melanurus wrasse for my tank and i temp acclimated for 30 mins and drip acclimated for an hour but i noticed while it was in the small display tanks it seemed a little inactive but i thought it was common since it was in a small tank so i took him home to realize even after acclimating it seemed inactive to the point where it was just laying on the floor but breathing my angelfish is doing very well and has already ate but the wrasse is being kept in a large net against the glass so its not bothered any thoughts? My corals and my other fish seem healthy

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some types of wrasse crash out in a cave or such Other family's of wrasses sleep in the sand. I think it would feel safe in some tight corner along the bottom. Some keepers keep a shallow bin in a back corner full of sand or section off an area & keep sand in it. Check it out .There was a thread on this recently or just ask ! You will get plenty of ideas .

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse's can be weird/funny. When I moved my melanarus from my biocube to by 150g it hid in the sand for almost a week. I would get some sand in your tank as the melanarus will want to bury itself for safety/comfort.

OP
OP
J

Jose padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some types of wrasse crash out in a cave or such Other family's of wrasses sleep in the sand. I think it would feel safe in some tight corner along the bottom. Some keepers keep a shallow bin in a back corner full of sand or section off an area & keep sand in it. Check it out .There was a thread on this recently or just ask ! You will get plenty of ideas .
Yeah i did some research and people keep a tupperware full of sand for their wrasse i might try that

OP
OP
J

Jose padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse's can be weird/funny. When I moved my melanarus from my biocube to by 150g it hid in the sand for almost a week. I would get some sand in your tank as the melanarus will want to bury itself for safety/comfort.
I just wanna be sure it lives before i go spend money on sand

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isnt but to end up having $20 worth of sand for no reason if the fish ends up dying is pointless you get me? Im not trying to be rude
I imagine you can use the sand again? Perhaps I’m missing something. Your call obviously, no disrespect intended.

OP
OP
J

Jose padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really going to complain about possibly “wasting” 20 bucks in this hobby.... and to potentially keep a awesome and (not cheap) fish alive???
You got me there ill see if little buddy makes it through the night so i can get it some sand

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait quick question does it have to be fine sand?
I’d go to your LFS and get the smallest bag of live sand they have. You could also just put the sand into a container if you don’t want it on the bottom of your tank. I’d find a 8-10” container fill it with sand and see if your wrasse will make that his home, if he does I also wouldn’t be surprised if if he stays in it for a long period of time at first.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many species of wrasses. The Halichoeres genus, which includes the Melanurus species, require a sand bed to sleep in. The sand I use for mine is a mixture of fine and course. 3-5mm down to ~.5mm. You would probably be fine with course substrate in the 2-5mm range as long as it isn't sharp or compacts easily.

Be aware that Halichoeres wrasses can dive into the sand very quickly and without care for the depth. Ensure the depth is sufficient enough to keep the wrasse from colliding with the bottom of the container. I would think about 2 inches or more should suffice. If the wrasses hits the bottom or any obstacle at full speed, they can severely damage their mouth/jaw. This would mean a slow and inevitable death for the animal.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 76 43.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 49 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back