Melting Favia, Coral Warfare

RyanTheSquid

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2025
Messages
205
Reaction score
72
Location
New Mexico
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states i think my favia is melting, I have an acan on a frag holder and when I got home the acan was polyp down on top of the favia frag. Looks to be melting, is there anything that can be done if I am unable to cut the frag?
c3c40018-ea6b-488b-8537-234d89a7ff18.jpg
 
iodine dip and cross your fingers
Did that, fingers crossed now. On the note of things melting... I have a Bali Red star fish thats been getting nipped by something and now the tips of each limb is slowly melting away... anything that can be done about that?
 
As the title states i think my favia is melting, I have an acan on a frag holder and when I got home the acan was polyp down on top of the favia frag. Looks to be melting, is there anything that can be done if I am unable to cut the frag?
c3c40018-ea6b-488b-8537-234d89a7ff18.jpg
The iodine dip may help, but depending on the damage, it may or may not come back. I will say that I have had coral come back from stings that looked much worse than this. Keep your water clean and see what happens.

As for the starfish, sadly that’s a sign it’s on its way out. Once they start falling apart, there’s little that can be done. Most Starfish are not easy to take care of. Besides specific diet requirements, they need extremely stable water parameters. Check your salinity and pH and see if there has been a fluctuation there. In my experience, the only reef safe starfish that is not that difficult to keep are sand sifting stars.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.4%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new