Melting! Hopefully Not

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit it, I have a zoa problem, can't stop buying them! Working on creating a garden.

Does anybody know any tricks to entice a zoa to open up? I just bought a "blondie" frag, and spent more than I would like to admit, and really dont want it to melt away. Got it about 2 weeks ago..half the polyps opened up for the first week, now they look like this:
20190220_142539.jpg

The one in the middle that you can see just a bit of the orange skirt coming out of the polyp. They look like they want to melt, and looked awesome before they closed up. I know I should just leave it alone..but in my experience when they do this they end up melting. I want to do a fw dip..any suggestions? I did have nudibranches but have not seen any in over a month, removed manually and dipped everything. 90% of my zoas are open and doing well, not this one.

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try to dip them - CoralRX, revive, or something similar. I'd also try and iodine dip. I had an issue with a small colony of sunny d that I had. I did a CoralRX dip and iodine and they are back and healthy!

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a fw dip for about 2 minutes. Some type of pod came off of the frag..could that have been the issue?

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a fw dip for about 2 minutes. Some type of pod came off of the frag..could that have been the issue?

Without seeing exactly fell off of the frag, it's hard to say. If it was actually a pod, I doubt that was the issue. How is it looking today?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fw dip on coral?
I would try to stay away from dipping coral in freshwater, id use a dip many for dipping coral in.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without seeing exactly fell off of the frag, it's hard to say. If it was actually a pod, I doubt that was the issue. How is it looking today?

It looked like a standard copepod. The frag looks about the same, maybe a bit better. The skirts are sticking out of the polyps just a little more. The fw didn't seem to make it any worse. Now that I am starting to collect some "designer" zoas, losing a frag is much more expensive..any tips are appreciated. This a temp 60g tank holding everything until new tank is cycled..since the tank is not mature I noticed a lot of scavengers "sniffing" around my frags..hermits, snails
20190221_143412.jpg

Last edited:

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do a coral rx dip for 15 mins, then a 10 min iodine dip. Make sure you dip into tank water before putting back into your tank

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fw dip on coral?
I would try to stay away from dipping coral in freshwater, id use a dip many for dipping coral in.

I have had some success removing nudibranches with fw dips..but I do feel like I should use a saltwater dip, as a dip in fw I am sure doesn't make the corals happy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back