Membrane gets contaminated with chlorine/chloramine water

Richi888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

my Dupont membranes allow < 0,1 PPM chlorine / chloramine.

What if the water has 0,4 or so, will it directly get destroyed, or will it just stop working one year earlier than planned, so instead of 4 years maybe 3 years or so..?

Kind regards

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to popular belief, Filmtec membranes can withstand some exposure to chlorine.

Filmtec says: "FilmTec™ Membranes can withstand short-term exposure to free chlorine (hypochlorite); however, resistance is limited. The membranes can be used successfully in installations where system upsets result in temporary exposure to free chlorine. Eventual degradation may occur after approximately 200 – 1,000 hours of exposure to 1 ppm concentrations of free chlorine."

Damage to the membrane will be visible as degraded rejection.

Russ

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Richi888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a standard practice you'll want to remove that chlorine before it reaches the membrane.
My pump (which comes after the carbon block then) needs 30 PSI inlet pressure. So when I run the water through a carbon block, isn't it that the pressure goes to zero so that the pump wont bring the capacity?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump (which comes after the carbon block then) needs 30 PSI inlet pressure. So when I run the water through a carbon block, isn't it that the pressure goes to zero so that the pump wont bring the capacity?
Putting your pump after your clear prefilter housings is a good move/configuration.

I'm not understanding why the feedwater pressure would go to 0 psi after your prefilters.

OP
OP
R

Richi888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting your pump after your clear prefilter housings is a good move/configuration.

I'm not understanding why the feedwater pressure would go to 0 psi after your prefilters.
I thought because the carbon block just slows down water so much that pressure heavily falls. But I dont know Im not an expert..

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought because the carbon block just slows down water so much that pressure heavily falls. But I dont know Im not an expert..

That depends on the filters. The specs on a standard chlorgard is a 5 psi drop across the filter at 1 gpm flow rate.

1717766749216.png

Brett7397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Put your pump after your sediment filter and before the carbon filter. Some people run 2 carbon filters. I just run one but I treat my water just in case or let it mix for 24 hours to let the chlorine gas off.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your pump after your sediment filter and before the carbon filter. Some people run 2 carbon filters. I just run one but I treat my water just in case or let it mix for 24 hours to let the chlorine gas off.
We don't recommend this configuration. Put the pump after all prefilters. Carbon blocks should not significantly reduce water pressure or water flow.

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are using the Matrikx ChloraGuard, right?

Not right now but when I run out of what I have hand I am switching to that plus a Chlorine Grabber from @Buckeye Hydro that is the most cost effective setup for me. I used that for an example since the spec pdf was on my desktop.

OP
OP
R

Richi888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not right now but when I run out of what I have hand I am switching to that plus a Chlorine Grabber from @Buckeye Hydro that is the most cost effective setup for me. I used that for an example since the spec pdf was on my desktop.
Okay, is dual still necessary if you use the ChloraGuard, or also the ChlorPlus from Pentair? ChlorPlus seems to eliminate Chloramine very good.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an idea to try and see if it helped. I agree it would be better for the pump.
It's a better configuration... for the housings. The clear housings are the weakest component in these systems in terms of ability to withstand elevated pressure.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 12.9%
Back