Chloramine.

Notsolostfish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2014
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
801
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 6 stage kit from brs. And for some reason i came across chloramine. That it doesnt get removed with the regular rodi operations. And some city water are very sneaky about adding it or not. And the report i got from the city water is 1 year old shows chlorine. So im worried. How would i know if have chloramine
 
Best bet, get a test kit
Will let you know free and total chlorine in your water
 
Does the test kit test for chlorine or chloramine?
Yes it tests for both, per the site
"If the Free Chlorine reading matches the Total Chlorine reading then no chloramines will be present. However if the Total Chlorine is greater than the Free Chlorine reading your city is using chloramines."
 
Last edited:
I have a basic 5-stage (2 carbon blocks) kit from BRS and my city sanitizes with chloramines 49 weeks out of the year. In 5 years I've never noticed any issues with any tank inhabitants (loaded with inverts).

I'm not implying that you shouldn't test, but maybe a little piece of mind that a basic RODI kit handles chloramines reasonably well... just make sure you have 2 carbon stages that are changed out regularly.
 
Could just use a chloramine prefilter and not even worry about it. About the same price as the test strips (which reviews say don't work well anyway).
 
The A chloraguard filter.
I paid $75 Canadian for the canister and filter.

Easy and cheap
 
The chloramine monster canister by brs is almost 400$
A 2.5 x 10" Matrikx Chloraguard prefilter is $21 at BRS. You replace the stock carbon prefilter with it. Works great. When I moved to a city with (seasonally heavy) chloramine disinfection I torched two membranes before switching to a purpose-designed chloramine prefilter, and thereafter never had any such issues.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new