Chloramine.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 6 stage kit from brs. And for some reason i came across chloramine. That it doesnt get removed with the regular rodi operations. And some city water are very sneaky about adding it or not. And the report i got from the city water is 1 year old shows chlorine. So im worried. How would i know if have chloramine

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the test kit test for chlorine or chloramine?
Yes it tests for both, per the site
"If the Free Chlorine reading matches the Total Chlorine reading then no chloramines will be present. However if the Total Chlorine is greater than the Free Chlorine reading your city is using chloramines."

Last edited:

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basic 5-stage (2 carbon blocks) kit from BRS and my city sanitizes with chloramines 49 weeks out of the year. In 5 years I've never noticed any issues with any tank inhabitants (loaded with inverts).

I'm not implying that you shouldn't test, but maybe a little piece of mind that a basic RODI kit handles chloramines reasonably well... just make sure you have 2 carbon stages that are changed out regularly.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just use a chloramine prefilter and not even worry about it. About the same price as the test strips (which reviews say don't work well anyway).

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just use a chloramine prefilter and not even worry about it. About the same price as the test strips (which reviews say don't work well anyway).
The chloramine monster canister by brs is almost 400$

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chloramine monster canister by brs is almost 400$
A 2.5 x 10" Matrikx Chloraguard prefilter is $21 at BRS. You replace the stock carbon prefilter with it. Works great. When I moved to a city with (seasonally heavy) chloramine disinfection I torched two membranes before switching to a purpose-designed chloramine prefilter, and thereafter never had any such issues.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back