OP
R

Richi888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is for example the Matrikx ChloraGuard 20" x 4,5" and there is the Pentair ChlorPlus 20" x 4,5".
Both have 1 micron, great throughput and low pressure drop.

1) So as far as I understand, those carbon blocks all filter 100% of chlorine and Chloramine out of the water at the beginning, but they only differ in the capacity they can filter until they let chlorine/chloramines through again, is this right?

2) Matrikx uses catalytic carbon from coconut and Pentair uses Advanced Bonded PAC from wood. Would you also consider this in your decision which one to choose, or do you just look at the filter capacity (while microns, thoughput, pressure drop... is similar)?

3) While converting both specs to 0,1 PPM breakthrough in order to compare them, Matrikx seems to be the MUCH better deal because it has much more capacity while its even cheaper. So my first thought: Is this TOO good to be true and is the Matrikx sheet a bit too optimistic in marketing, while Pentair is more realistic/fair? Something seems to be really strange here...

I wonder if these specs are something you can count on, or how would you decide which one is better?

Also adding the Chloramine grabber seems to be a good idea.

OP
OP
R

Richi888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have an answer on how to find out which filter is "better", Pentair ChlorPlus BB VS. Matrikx ChloraGuard BB?

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have an answer on how to find out which filter is "better", Pentair ChlorPlus BB VS. Matrikx ChloraGuard BB?

You'd need a flow meter with totalizer and a good chlorine colorimeter like a Hach DR/300 (minimum).

Loose charcoal like Calgon Centaur in a refillable canister is probably going to remove more chlorine per dollar than any charcoal block.

As of several months ago, a 10" carbon block is about 1 lb and $19. A cubic foot of Calgon Centaur is ~33 lbs and $240.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd need a flow meter with totalizer and a good chlorine colorimeter like a Hach DR/300 (minimum).

Loose charcoal like Calgon Centaur in a refillable canister is probably going to remove more chlorine per dollar than any charcoal block.

As of several months ago, a 10" carbon block is about 1 lb and $19. A cubic foot of Calgon Centaur is ~33 lbs and $240.
blocks will always out perform loose granular media of a similar volume.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They're not similar volume though. Blocks have a ~1" diameter hollow center. The water may also flow radially so it passes through less carbon.

By weight, loose carbon is 2.5-3X cheaper.

OP
OP
R

Richi888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally its about the amount of carbon which increases surface I think. Sintering for example allows for more carbon mass and less binders, thats why its better.
define "better"
Better in the sense of
- "closer at 100% elimination of chlorine AND chloramines AND chlorine dioxide (while I dont know if chlorine dioxide can really be removed from carbon)"
- "the more gallons until it has to be exchanged, the better"

I want to find out if Matrikx is saying the truth or why the same filter size can produce so much more capacity until it has to be changed (compared to the ChlorPlus), especially because Matrikx is much cheaper.
-> I wonder if its a hint that Pentair uses wood and Matrikx uses coconut shells (which is better)
-> Or could one tell by simply comparing the weights of both filters because more weight = more carbon = more surface? Does someone know the weights of both?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Richi888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOS - Need answer because I need to order as soon as possible ;( Any help is well appreciated :)

Last edited:

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.3%
Back