Mesh bag size to hold back ROX 0.8?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
91,608
Reaction score
96,690
Location
Massachusetts, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know off hand which sizes hold back ROX 0.8 without being excessively fine?

The mesh I planned to use for a diy carbon filter let too much through (don’t know the size rating of it since it wasn’t a reef product).

Thanks in advance!
 
Seachem’s “the bag” works great for Rox. It’s 180 micron.
Although it is probably excessively fine.
 
Mine are from Amazon 150 micron. Might be a tad to fine though but I dint mind
 
Technically. The 0.8 in ROX 0.8 refers to the particle size! — extruded cylindrical pellets 0.8mm long!

This carbon gets sieved to <0.6mm (600 microns)

IMG_0815.png


— Despite the carbon being manufactured to at least 0.6mm diameter, you will still get broken pellets and other fines from shipping/handling, so several retailers recommend a 100-200micron mesh bag!
 
For years I’ve just bought cheap mesh bags meant for jewelry or crafts or gifts from Amazon. I buy 50 at a time, and I don’t re-use. I think they cost about 5 cents each. Works for Rox 0.8
 
For years I’ve just bought cheap mesh bags meant for jewelry or crafts or gifts from Amazon. I buy 50 at a time, and I don’t re-use. I think they cost about 5 cents each. Works for Rox 0.8
Hmmm I’ll have to look into that. Cleaning mesh bags of Rox carbon is a real pain I’d like to eliminate.
 
For years I’ve just bought cheap mesh bags meant for jewelry or crafts or gifts from Amazon. I buy 50 at a time, and I don’t re-use. I think they cost about 5 cents each. Works for Rox 0.8

Nice, thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new