Messed up - got IO Sea Salt instead of IO Reef crystals. Think its ok?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I messed up and got IO Sea Salt instead of IO Reef Crystals. I got 200 gallons...
I only have a few zoas, a duncan, a toadstool, and some leathers that are slowly being covered by algae.
I do want to start adding more corals and am wondering if I can just get an additive to make up the difference in trace elements.
opinions?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals (which I think you are talking about) and Instant Ocean are pretty similar. If you are not making huge changes, you should be fine. The two mixes have different levels of ALK so you might want to be careful there. Reef Crystals has more Ca and Mg in it but neither is a big deal.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO is perfectly fine. Many, many very successful tanks use IO. But, as mentioned if you are changing salts, any brand salts, do it slowly over several weeks.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are doing large WC at once it really makes very little difference if one is higher than the other with "x" parameter.

Even with alk which is most likely to have large difference between salts if you switch from a 7dkh salt to a 12 dkh salt a 10% WC is only a .5dkh difference in the tank and that is an extreme example. If i was doing a 20%+ change with such an extreme difference then i may be concerned(i would just would do smaller WC at first)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%

Back