Metal Bag Crimper

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when I've received some stuff from different retailers, it has been in heavy 4mil bags with metal crimps used to seal the bags. I'd like to get my hands on one of those tools. Anybody know what tool it is and/or where to buy one?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you're looking for is a pair of crimping pliers or a hog ring plier stapler. Hogrings.com and uline.com have the crimping pliers and the actual metal C rings.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watch the video on LiveAquaria, I think one of them shows some big automated machine that will do it as well.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, its not huge, but he just sticks the top of the bag in this machine and it clamps it. Getting the link now and where it is within the video...cause I'm that nice :)

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little tool. I def. need one! :bigsmile:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for some machine type like above, it would depend on what it can handle. I would think 3/4 inch open would be sufficient to go around a bag closure on the top.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably even get away with 1/2" if you're using smaller bags for stuff like frags. If you ship full colonies and fish, I would suggest the 3/4". I'd suggest goes with the smallest one you can because it will probably give a better seal.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at the site and it says the 1/2" open will give you either a 1/8" or 3/16" closed. That would be great for the little bags that are around a 1.5-2" diameter, but probably wouldn't work well for back beyond that. The 3/4" crimper has ones that get down to 1/4" or 5/16" when closed, so that would probably be better for larger bags.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you get the blunt tip, so that they don't puncture the bag

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably even get away with 1/2" if you're using smaller bags for stuff like frags. If you ship full colonies and fish, I would suggest the 3/4". I'd suggest goes with the smallest one you can because it will probably give a better seal.

Or you could try to wrap it around twice if it were too big, haha. I'm sure that would be no easy feat if doing it by hand :)

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure you could do it with a pair of crimping pliers, but kind of defeats the purpose of using the tool.

To the OP:
Have you ever looked into those things that melt the bag to fuse it closed? I've gotten a few shipments in from vendors that used that technique and it always intrigued me. Beats the heck out of rubber bands and you wouldn't have to keep buying the c-rings

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are alright, but the best ive ever got was double bagged vaccum sealed from matt@ austin aqua farms.
i think you can use hog ring pliers

OP
OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure you could do it with a pair of crimping pliers, but kind of defeats the purpose of using the tool.

To the OP:
Have you ever looked into those things that melt the bag to fuse it closed? I've gotten a few shipments in from vendors that used that technique and it always intrigued me. Beats the heck out of rubber bands and you wouldn't have to keep buying the c-rings
I've thought about that too, but don't have the $$ for it. Just looking for something simple

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Other.

Back