Metal Halide and Apex

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with the power monitoring on both of my EB832’s reading power on outlets that were not in use. and after a session with Neptune I was informed my Halide was causing the issues and that I would need to connect my Halide to a timer. I have an Icecap Select a watt ballast running a Radium bulb. This means that I will not be able to have the Apex control my Halide to shut it off if the temp in the tank reaches 82deg. I haven‘t read about this issue anywhere and am curious if anyone has heard of or experienced this same issue. Kind of a bummer. Anyone have any idea’s. Too bad the outlet couldn’t be isolated from the power monitoring, but still run on and controlled by the Apex. I was informed that my ticket and details were being passed up the chain and I would hear something at some point, but not sure when that could be. Hmmmm.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of that issue either. If there's no way around the issue, I'd probably buy a used EB8 or EB4 just to control the halides, then continue using the EB832 for your other devices and for power monitoring. At least then everything would still be Apex controlled.

OP
OP
Butcher333

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. So your though is that since the EB4 doesn’t monitor power, that the glitch caused to both my other EB832’s might be isolated to the EB4 while still allowing control. This could work. I will follow up with the ticket to support to see if this will isolate the issue.
I just reread the description from Neptune which states independent outlet power monitoring, so bewildered how this ballast is causing the issue on all outlets between 2 separate 832’s. I would have to be Neptune engineering dept. to know. LoL.
Thanks for your response SuncrestReef. Sounds plausible. I’ll post follow up.

OP
OP
Butcher333

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn. Even if I plug my halide into an outlet away from the EB832’s on a timer, it will interfere with and glitch the power readings. All the outlets in my house share a neutral and ground at the panel, so as long as it’s plugged in it will interfere it would seem. I wonder what this icecap ballast is doing that interferes with the power readings on my Apex. I can’t think of a way to isolate it from my service panel. I can’t figure out how this hasn’t been mentioned by anyone before. The plot thickens.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 3 250w MH's with eballasts (plus 4x T5) on Apex split between two power bars and using the switched outlets. Never had a problem using the EB8's. I went to the newer controller with an EB832 but I was using LED's then. Not long ago had to switch back to my MH's for a while and the EB8 was fine. The EB832 was constantly having issues and I switched the ballast to 175w (selectable Eballast). Don't recall exactly but things like over amperage alerts etc. Might even had some of the issues you do. To me when compared to the EB8 the EB832 is junk with more bells and whistles. Got my G5's and everything is fine now. Still use my EB832 but also using 2x EB8's which I'm glad I hung on to.

OP
OP
Butcher333

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dang. I was driving home from work today and got a call (I know, but it was an important call) from Neptune. Based on the follow up with my ticket including the new details learned, and he said that the engineers had determined it was something wrong with my Icecap ballast. Radio frequency interference which I’ve never heard of before or at least don’t recall causing issues. I swapped out the 250w Icecap for the 400w Icecap select a watt and tried it first on a separate outlet from the Apex and no issues with the power readings. I then plugged it directly into the Apex and still no issues. Wahoo! But there is more to this story. After the call with Neptune I researched RFI from metal halides and although I couldn’t find a lot reef related, I did find quite a bit from pot farmer websites and so I checked out the info on their forum. OMG. They kept referring to Comcast/Xfinity coming knocking on their doors. Post after post. They were talking about the dreaded RFI that would cause them to get home visits from Comcast. They were all paranoid and saying they (Comcast employees) get bonuses for any tips that lead to an arrest. They also mentioned having their service shut off as well. NOW, the funny part. Around the time I hooked up my Apex so I could get everything dialed in and familiar with it, I got a visit from Xfinity. He kept saying that they were getting interference from my house. He asked some questions that seemed odd. I told him I had just hooked up a controller for an aquarium and he said that likely wasn’t it. I invited him to look in my basement but do to Covid he couldn’t. I remember feeling like he was suspicious which is why I invited him to look. He was talking something about how if the neighbors complained potentially having to replace the underground line,(said he determined it wasn’t coming from inside the house) and how I might loose service. I saw him later in the week visiting neighbors houses also. Earlier this week my internet was shut off by my Xfinity modem. I spent a day figuring out that the modem was kicking us off internet every time my network came online and that the modem had apparently decided that my security system was causing an issue and when it was plugged in my whole network would be taken offline. So, after having fixed the issue by removing the 250w Icecap, I rebooted the modem again and plugged in my security system and viola!! Neptune has also resolved my major issues related to my home network and security. Now all my families WiFi has been restored and there is much rejoicing. Now I can move on to aquascaping and control board. Thank you Neptune and support team!

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it an electronic ballast? They do cause harmonic imbalances all the way to the source power and the electric company can detect this. They used to bust weed growers using this method. I assume that is the problem that you are experiencing. Mechanical ballasts do not display these symptoms. I run MH and have the Apex control them but the MH goes through a seperate controller that also controls T5s and LEDs that are all built into the fixture. I have the Apex Classic which only monitors power as a whole on an energy bar. Individual outlets on the 2016 model is the only reason I would update. I've gotten by the last decade with the Classic so an upgrade would need to fall in my lap.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back