Status
Not open for further replies.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the corrected chart. Note the correct metric is microWatts per cm2 (not microWatts per m2.) To convert microWatts per m2 to microWatts per cm2, multiply by 100 and vice versa. Hence, the Hamilton lamp (at 5") produces about 13w UV-A and 0.69w UV-B. This is for this particular lamp only.
We lost power for over a day and a half during a snow storm, but aquarium temp went only just below 70 and everything was fine.

UV corrected.jpg

OK, thanks.. so to make sure I'm getting that straight is that from the bulb?
So at 10" in a tank and assuming about 6" from surface to bulb your UV-A (16") is .2mW/cm2 ...or 2W/m squared..

So entry..13w.. in the tank at stated distance.. 2W
so about a 85% loss @ 10" deep. .

UVA fluence of about 20.5 W m2
and a UVB
fluence of about 1.2 W m2

Incident solar approx..
So being a bit liberal on rounding about 1/2 of solar..
Higher than I was expecting.. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the corrected chart. Note the correct metric is microWatts per cm2 (not microWatts per m2.) To convert microWatts per m2 to microWatts per cm2, multiply by 100 and vice versa. Hence, the Hamilton lamp (at 5") produces about 13w UV-A and 0.69w UV-B. This is for this particular lamp only.
We lost power for over a day and a half during a snow storm, but aquarium temp went only just below 70 and everything was fine.

UV corrected.jpg
Edit to make it easier...
Hi Dana,
I'm terrible at math, but:
1 square meter = 10000 square cm. Multiply by 10000, not 100.
and
~1300 X 10000 = 13000000 microwatts = ~13 watts of UV-A.
Your math was right at the end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thanks.. so to make sure I'm getting that straight is that from the bulb?
So at 10" in a tank and assuming about 6" from surface to bulb your UV-A (16") is .2mW/cm2 ...or 2W/m squared..

So entry..13w.. in the tank at stated distance.. 2W
so about a 85% loss @ 10" deep. .

Incident solar approx..
So being a bit liberal on rounding about 1/2 of solar..
Higher than I was expecting.. ;)
Edit: @~16" from bulb would be ~2W/m2.
Yes, lost 85%.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is Live Aquaria's halides over their coral farm for growth...
They use tracks and the lights move, but still get amazing growth from the 400W bulbs.
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 8.55.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 8.55.24 PM.png

Last edited:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light source (in general)?
UV-B is completely different than the Hamilton..
Un-shielded bulb?

UV-A looks ...err .standard.. ;)
This was a mercury vapor tanning lamp. I used this because it cranks out a lot of radiation. UV output can vary greatly among lamps.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a mercury vapor tanning lamp. I used this because it cranks out a lot of radiation. UV output can vary greatly among lamps.
Well that explains the high UV-B..
and yep..250W-ers
f25.gif

The lamps were mounted in a fixture that positions the center of the lamp’s arc tube 18 inches from the cosine receptor. We wanted to measure only the direct light coming from the lamp, without any contribution from reflections of the lamp’s output, nor from stray room light. Hence, the fixture does not have a reflector and was in a dark room with walls painted dull black. We used the same setup to test all the lamps. We used a single Magnetek ballast (part #1110-247SC-TC) with all the lamps.
Soo.. only trends are relevant..

Last edited:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: @~16" from bulb would be ~2W/m2.
Yes, lost 85%.
Correcting myself.. got confused... its ~2W/cm2..
Edit: More bulb charts please, Dana... 250W and 175W? Only 400W.. Ushio, XM? Any more? Thanks

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean among same type (brand), right? Very interesting!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok, so reflectors are $19 each, a couple ballasts are $100 and a couple fans are $25. However even if you need to replace all these parts at five years, that doesn't really count for a five year ownership term, so let's halve that cost. My Sunpower is 3.25 years old and I haven't replaced anything to this point. So with these parts the total cost would be about ~$1740. Of course this assumes you don't have any issues with the LED's that need parts as well.

I see Sunpower fixtures running for 10 years without issues, not all break down. Sure fans need to be cleaned etc. I also tend to run my ATI fans at 7.5V (on the selectable wallwart) for nearly no noise. Never had a single problem. My favorite light fixtures by far.

I've said it before and I am going to say it again. MH or T5 owners replace bulbs as needed (there might be occasional failed ballast)

LED owners replace entire fixtures as new gen comes to market. It's like smart phones, suddenly that great LED fixture they were ready to kill for just isnt all that great anymore. The whole LED lasts _[enter # here]_______ hours is out the window. Most LED owners went through 4-5 sets of fixtures in past 5-7 years. Add that!

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much!
Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 7.51.45 AM.png

Perhaps would be great if you could put those graphics together (out/in the water) of each bulb in an article to be available here on Reef2Reef? Or please continue to publish in this thread. How many halide bulbs did you test? How many graphics? Love it!
Ushio, XM, BLV, Hamilton, etc.. even if they aren't available anymore.. it's a treasure for comparison and I'm sure old timers will be excited to check it out to understand more. We would learn a lot from them. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV measurements in water.

UV Transmission.jpg
I was looking through my log book and found some UV measurements I made at Makena Landing, Maui, on 11/29/98 at 12:20 pm. UV-A = 1260 microWatts/cm2 and 960 microWatts/cm2. Interestingly, almost identical to the measurements made using the mercury vapor tanning lamp.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see Sunpower fixtures running for 10 years without issues, not all break down. Sure fans need to be cleaned etc. I also tend to run my ATI fans at 7.5V (on the selectable wallwart) for nearly no noise. Never had a single problem. My favorite light fixtures by far.

I've said it before and I am going to say it again. MH or T5 owners replace bulbs as needed (there might be occasional failed ballast)

LED owners replace entire fixtures as new gen comes to market. It's like smart phones, suddenly that great LED fixture they were ready to kill for just isnt all that great anymore. The whole LED lasts _[enter # here]_______ hours is out the window. Most LED owners went through 4-5 sets of fixtures in past 5-7 years. Add that!
My ATI Powermodule (old version - T5 only - called today Sunpower) is still running after 10+ years and needed change the fans only once. The fans were much better quality before.. I run them on max. With the new ones we need to be careful. They will last longer if you put some silicone on the connection touching the fan. Best T5 fixture I've ever had in my life. Sunpower is simple and to the point!
If we use halides only 4 - 5 hours, like some do, we will have it running for ~2 years.
Yeah, LEDs degrade and ae not forever. They aren't worth anything after next generation come is with new apps and stuff in terms of market value too... People forget about that.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking through my log book and found some UV measurements I made at Makena Landing, Maui, on 11/29/98 at 12:20 pm. UV-A = 1260 microWatts/cm2 and 960 microWatts/cm2. Interestingly, almost identical to the measurements made using the mercury vapor tanning lamp.
I think you need to write an article, Sr.
Hope you have pictures of Makena to add to it and make it an art piece.
But if you want to just publish here you can fill up as many pages you want!
1585073464601.png

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to write an article, Sr.
Hope you have pictures of Makena to add to it and make it an art piece.
But if you want to just publish here you can fill up as many pages you want!
1585073464601.png

I took those measurements on the beach about where the folks are. I'd forgotten how beautiful that spot is. I know I took photos, just don't know where they are.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took those measurements on the beach about where the folks are. I'd forgotten how beautiful that spot is. I know I took photos, just don't know where they are.
There are so many things I wish you should experiment/publish, like your experiences in labs here with local corals... I wish you were still in the islands! I just hope you are very happy there with family and friends and having the tank of your dreams. I truly appreciate how unpretentious you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back