Metal Halide light fixture wattage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cleo642
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2015
Messages
3,338
Reaction score
1,155
Location
St. James Parish, Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I start my tank I have decided on a Hamilton Cebu light fixture. It's a metal halide/T5 combo. The tank I will get is 150 gallon tall (48*24*30), the fixture two metal halide bulbs. Would 250 watt or 400 watt bulbs be best? This is a picture of the fixture. Is 6-8 watts pet gallon a good recommendation? This will be a tall tank, I want the light to reach the bottom and all corners.
Screenshot_2015-06-20-14-33-06.png
 
Wouldn't be too concerned about watts per gallon --- way too many variables that it doesn't take into account.

Personally, I would go with the 250s, and use Radium bulbs. Will give you plenty of light, without being overkill. My 65 (( 24 inches tall )), has a similar fixture over it, can grow SPS on the sandbed.

What do you plan on keeping?
 
If you're going to do SPS, I'd recommend going with the 400W's on a 30" drop tank. 250's are good up to 27" in my experience. If not going SPS heavy, 250's should be good to go.
 
Wouldn't be too concerned about watts per gallon --- way too many variables that it doesn't take into account.

Personally, I would go with the 250s, and use Radium bulbs. Will give you plenty of light, without being overkill. My 65 (( 24 inches tall )), has a similar fixture over it, can grow SPS on the sandbed.

What do you plan on keeping?
First, I will start keeping easy like zoa's, mushrooms, etc. Eventually I will put some sps, it will be a mixed reef.
 
250w. Plenty of power for sps even mounted down low, and less heat than the 400w.
If you plan on running Radiums, don't forget the M80 ballasts.
I heard from Hamilton that those ballasts are backordered, but that's what you need to correctly drive the radiums.
 
250w. Plenty of power for sps even mounted down low, and less heat than the 400w.
If you plan on running Radiums, don't forget the M80 ballasts.
I heard from Hamilton that those ballasts are backordered.
Isn't it all part of that fixture? Is not part of that options when you order one, just size, wattage, and color.
 
There are usually two options for ballasts, electronic or magnetic. You want the magnetic for radiums.
If you don't see the option there you can order direct from Hamilton. All bulbs included.
If you want to be sure you are getting the right setup, PM me and I'll give you my contact's email at Hamilton. Cool guy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new