metal halide t5 hybrid questions

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little background. I had a fowlr tank 18 years ago for 10 years. I have been researching as much as possible for the last 10 years believe it or not. I am finally ready to take the plunge into reefing. I purchased a t5 led hybrid and just before I set the tank and the light up,I changed my mind about the t5 led combo.I've been intrigued by the t5 metal halide combo. I was initially scared of metal halide because of the possible heat problem.I see that the newer metal halides may not give off as much heat as the units in the past did? i have narrowed my choice to 2. Either the giesemann spectra or reefbrite paired with t5(if thats possible?) I know reefbrite touts it's ability to run cooler than the competition.Is this true? Would it be hard pair reebrite with t5? or is the Giesemann spectra the way to go. Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that gives off a slightly different amount of heat is the electronic ballast. And it still gives off heat, just not as much. The bulbs are the same as ever, thanks (mostly) to IR output.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have been researching for the last 10 years? I would think a little more about if you want an aquarium or not. Don't just jump into it..

OP
OP
D

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lol. it was part over whelming schedule and part financial and yes I was a bit of a coward too.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20K bulbs have less IR than 10K and lower. It is all totally manageable if you are smart. Both of those lights are pendants, so the tank can be open top which can keep cool in nearly any climate with just a fan or two - hoods are harder. I run 5 Mh over an open-top standard 240 and have absolutely no heat problems - in the Midwest with 100% humidity and warm nights, I needed a fan. If your tank is smaller, then this could be more of an issue.

Spectra is a fantastic light. Hamilton makes a similar light with their Cebu Sun. The form factors are different, but so is the cost.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. it was part over whelming schedule and part financial and yes I was a bit of a coward too.
Fair enough.
Well luckily in the last 10 years the options for lighting have narrowed significantly so your decision should be an easy one.

10Seconds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am seriously considering the Giesemann Spectra for my 220. Love the look and it will definitely grow the corals. A bit scared about my electric bill and heat, the only things holding me back.

OP
OP
D

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying to decide between the spectra and the reefbrite. I' m going to take the plunge just not sure which one.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide between the spectra and the reefbrite. I' m going to take the plunge just not sure which one.
i am sure they will both work fine but the spectra is a slick, one piece unit. the reefbrite looks like a cheap folded hood that they attached some led strips too... because that is what it is...

for not a lot more you get a much much nicer light

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am seriously considering the Giesemann Spectra for my 220. Love the look and it will definitely grow the corals. A bit scared about my electric bill and heat, the only things holding me back.
the electric bill won't be that big of a deal. it's not like you are going to run it 12 hours a day. Also, your heaters (which are at least 400-600 watts for a 220) will also run much less.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back