Metal Halide T5 Hybrid Users Thread

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who follow my build thread, I recently acquired a Hamilton Metal Halide T5 Hybrid Fixture. I see tons of LED threads, so I thought itd be interesting to see an old school lighting thread. I've only been running this system for 2 days, and have been running an acclimation, but I love the difference so far! Running a Hamilton 36" hybrid with a single 250 watt 20k bulb and two 420nm and two 460nm t5s :)
mFxb22nl.jpg

PtZUhb7l.jpg

pc4i5N5l.jpg

Please share your photos along with any hints, tips or tricks you may have :D

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Crabs Mcjones . What made you change out the AP700 for the MH?
It's a bit of a story, but in summary I realized that my explosion in growth happened after adding t5s to my ap700. And dont get me wrong the ap700 was growing the coral, but not until after I added t5s did they really start to BOOM. So a very good friend of mine suggested I give metal halide and t5s a try to see if I liked it better and see if my corals like it better. So I said sure! And well...here we are :)

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giesemann Spectra 24"
250w Radium on m80 ballast
2 Blue+, 1 Purple+, Actinic
Reefbrite XHO Blue

Switched from an ATI powermodule 2 months ago and the color and growth is already getting so much better
20180622_142538.jpg
I love it! What K metal halide are you running?

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit of a story, but in summary I realized that my explosion in growth happened after adding t5s to my ap700. And dont get me wrong the ap700 was growing the coral, but not until after I added t5s did they really start to BOOM. So a very good friend of mine suggested I give metal halide and t5s a try to see if I liked it better and see if my corals like it better. So I said sure! And well...here we are :)
I definitely can understand. My growth was great after adding the T5 fixture. I'm sure you will love the MH. Especially if you want to grow acros. They will look great under the MH. can't deny what works.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely can understand. My growth was great after adding the T5 fixture. I'm sure you will love the MH. Especially if you want to grow acros. They will look great under the MH. can't deny what works.
Best part is, it doesnt really effect my temp all that much. I only observed a .5 degree increase. The fixture has a glass panel, and uses two big fans to cool everything down. So the heats carried away before it has a chance to radiate to the tank.

Last edited:

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best part is, it doesnt really effect my temp all that much. I only observed a .5 degree increase. The fixture has a glass panel, and uses two big fans to cool everything down. So the hearts carried away before it has a chance to radiate to the tank.
That is a good thing. I know MH can carry some heat. Will be interesting to see the results.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back