Methods for Hand feeding fish

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling to keep my Blue Spotted Jawfish alive. One week ago I moved him to my sump after he spent two days out of his cave and laying around on the open sand. I expected him to die but he's become more active and comes to the surface to "greet" me even poking his head out of the water. I've been target feeding him but is there some kind of food I can directly hold for him to eat? Frozen foods, pellets and flake foods quickly disperse upon hitting the water and he mostly misses it.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I shut off my pumps when feeding to allow the food to stay with the fish vs being sucked and blown around. You might try that.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut off my pumps when feeding to allow the food to stay with the fish vs being sucked and blown around. You might try that.
Yeah, I do have the pumps off. He comes up to the surface and looks like he's gulping water. I think I may have come up with something this morning. I've never given him flakes before but they float and if I drop them on him he seems to be eating them. I'm probably fighting a losing battle with a fish I should have never been sold but I gotta try.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried any live food?
No, I'm not sure he would chase after anything. What would you suggest? He is currently living in the sump, and there are pods there, but I would imagine they're too small for him to bother with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%

Back