Methods of removing algae?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has lots of green hair algae and cyanobacteria (). When i pluck them off the rocks and remove them from the tank, other loose pieces fly off every single time, and after a few minutes of cleaning i end up with foggy disgusting water and free floating algae in the water column. Some of the free floating algae makes it to the sump but most ends up hiding away in my tank, only to cause more and more algae to grow. I'm wondering what you would recommend doing when taking algae out. I sometimes turn off my powerhead, but it doesn't help much. Of course, i also aggressively clean when doing a water change but there's only so much algae i can remove I the course of 2 minutes..
Advice?

Tank 5 minutes after algae clean up;
IMG_20221011_222259139.jpg

Foggy water
IMG_20221011_222307344.jpg

IMG_20221011_222341010.jpg

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info:
Tank is 1.65 years old, algae has been here since 2 weeks after the tank got water in it. Cyano appeared a few months ago and has been growing insanely right now. It's so gross oh my god.
I dont feed the fish every day, but i do let the pellets fall to the sand bed a bit for my bottom dwellers who eat most of it

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a water change at the same time, using syphon to suck out algae as you pull it out. You can run the siphon directly into a sock in the sump if you want to avoid having to change any water at all.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a water change at the same time, using syphon to suck out algae as you pull it out. You can run the siphon directly into a sock in the sump if you want to avoid having to change any water at all.
Thanks. Won't that cause the water in the filter socks to overflow, if the water comes out too fast?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't come out faster than your overflow unless you're using a really wide siphon tube. You can clip a filter sock to the inside of a bucket too and put that back in afterwards

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could remove rocks when doing water changes and scrub them with brushes into a bucket of old tank water then put the clean rocks back in? I have done that it works really well

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you 'really' want to get on top of algae
Turn down your lighting intensity, then clean in stages, divide your aquarium into 3 areas (or 4 at least), easiest maintenance is cleaning glass do this first, then remove as much as possible from rocks in stage 1
Turn off powerheads beforehand then do 'hoover of sand bed' repeat in a couple of days

Attachments

• IMG_20221012_192717.jpg
    IMG_20221012_192717.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 20

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info:
Tank is 1.65 years old, algae has been here since 2 weeks after the tank got water in it. Cyano appeared a few months ago and has been growing insanely right now. It's so gross oh my god.
I dont feed the fish every day, but i do let the pellets fall to the sand bed a bit for my bottom dwellers who eat most of it
Get a tooth brush and scrape it off it’s good to remove hair algae for and algae if any use a shipon and shipon the sand the beach you can and when you see algae forming stir the sand up

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you 'really' want to get on top of algae
Turn down your lighting intensity, then clean in stages, divide your aquarium into 3 areas (or 4 at least), easiest maintenance is cleaning glass do this first, then remove as much as possible from rocks in stage 1
Turn off powerheads beforehand then do 'hoover of sand bed' repeat in a couple of days
Thank you

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot. Didn't work well. Is it ok to put this water back into the tank?
I guess this means my filter sock isn't that good. Its the red sea one that came with the tank though, so idk. Im probably going to put the water back soon since its the same stuff that was already in the tank? Thanks

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed you are using a mesh filter sock. You'll get better filtration from a felt sock. The mesh socks let too much pass through

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back