Methods to raise PH in a reef tank, please list them and instructions?

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am wondering how to raise my pH from 7.8 to 8.1-8.3? Can someone please list the methods to do this with instructions, possibly with links?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what your alk and cal are, you can dose Kalk. If you have corals, mainly lps and sps then you can use Kalk and either drip it into your tank or mix it with your ATO. How much you use is dependent on your coral needs if you have them.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kalkwasser-calcium-hydroxide-bulk-reef-supply.html

Watch the video, very helpful.

I have watched some videos on kalkwasser, but I have a calcium level of 420 ppm, Alkalinity 9.6 DKH, and Magnesium 1320.

What I don't understand is:
Kalkwasser.png

1. I don't understand what low demand, medium demand, and high demand are and I don't want to overdose and my livestock die in the reef tank. Is there a way I can know how much to add per gallon?
2. If my Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium parameters are already correct what is dosing kalkwasser going to do with that, raise calcium, alk and pH, If so what do I need to do to lower Calcium, Alkalinity, and what should the parameters be at before I start dosing Kalkwasser?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched some videos on kalkwasser, but I have a calcium level of 420 ppm, Alkalinity 9.6 DKH, and Magnesium 1320.

What I don't understand is:
Kalkwasser.png

1. I don't understand what low demand, medium demand, and high demand are and I don't want to overdose and my livestock die in the reef tank. Is there a way I can know how much to add per gallon?
2. If my Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium parameters are already correct what is dosing kalkwasser going to do with that, raise calcium, alk and pH, If so what do I need to do to lower Calcium, Alkalinity, and what should the parameters be at before I start dosing Kalkwasser?
That is why I asked what your demand was, do you have corals and what type. If you have corals, are you having to dose to keep levels up. Are water changes keeping your level up. If you do have corals and water changes by itself are keeping levels up then you have almost no demand for those elements and Kalk, unfortunately, will not work. If you are having to dose something to keep levels up then it will work. Then you have to measure the amount of Alk you are using daily, I actually measured every 2 days because daily usage can be hard to measure, its usually within the margin of error of a tester. Myself, I have LPS and SPS and use 1.5 teaspoons of Kalk per gal of water in my ATO, but I am now I the process of switching to 2-part as my demand is to high causing my PH to get above 8.5.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend not to chase Ph unless you are a more advanced reefer and for a specific purpose.

That being said increasing the oxygen in your house is probably the best way. Second would be to run your airline from your skimmer to the outside. Third would be CO2 scrubbing media attached to the skimmer airline.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what your alk and cal are, you can dose Kalk. If you have corals, mainly lps and sps then you can use Kalk and either drip it into your tank or mix it with your ATO. How much you use is dependent on your coral needs if you have them.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kalkwasser-calcium-hydroxide-bulk-reef-supply.html

Watch the video, very helpful.

Sodiumhydroxide is a better alternative plus it has 100% solubility so you dont have to mess with all that low saturation, clogging pumps, effluent and so on. No idea how kalk got into the hobby from a chemistry perspective.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am wondering how to raise my pH from 7.8 to 8.1-8.3? Can someone please list the methods to do this with instructions, possibly with links?
Using baked baking soda
For my setup, not typical DT, for every 35-40 gallons, one scoop Tablespoon is one point.
Example: if ph 7.8 one Tspn rises it 7.9, etc...
I mix in quart cup pour into filter, 1/4 of a cup every 15min.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodiumhydroxide is a better alternative plus it has 100% solubility so you dont have to mess with all that low saturation, clogging pumps, effluent and so on. No idea how kalk got into the hobby from a chemistry perspective.
I really don't have a problem with it, helps a newbie out, but as I advance and start to chase consistency I am switching to a DOS and 2-part.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I asked what your demand was, do you have corals and what type. If you have corals, are you having to dose to keep levels up. Are water changes keeping your level up. If you do have corals and water changes by itself are keeping levels up then you have almost no demand for those elements and Kalk, unfortunately, will not work. If you are having to dose something to keep levels up then it will work.

At this time I do not have any corals, I am trying to get my pH higher about 8.1-8.3 so I can grow coralline algae. Maybe later I will add some corals, but I would like to have all levels correct before I do.

I was hoping to get the pH, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium parameters correct then I could maybe test after to see how much I need to dose?

I do not do alot of water changes I try to keep my ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and phostphate parameters low so I do not need to do that.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Randy’s/Jim sodium hydroxide 2 part recipe. Same ph boost as kalk per unit alk added. It’s good stuff and has magnesium in it too.

Edit: just saw you don’t have any corals. For coralline I wouldn’t worry about ph and just keep things really stable and nutrients/doc low. It takes time even when things are perfect.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time I do not have any corals, I am trying to get my pH higher about 8.1-8.3 so I can grow coralline algae. Maybe later I will add some corals, but I would like to have all levels correct before I do.

I was hoping to get the pH, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium parameters correct then I could maybe test after to see how much I need to dose?

I do not do alot of water changes I try to keep my ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and phostphate parameters low so I do not need to do that.
That's funny, because Kalk, actually is said to help with coraline algae, lol! I wouldn't recommend it now though if you have no consumption of those elements as it will skyrocket it. Their are several ways to introduce coraline algae to the tank, ask someone local, or maybe your LFS if you could scrap some coraline algae from their tanks and the blend it and put it in your tank. If you still want to raise your PH then some of the other ideas other reefers metioned will be better. Good Luck!!!

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny, because Kalk, actually is said to help with coraline algae, lol! I wouldn't recommend it now though if you have no consumption of those elements as it will skyrocket it. Their are several ways to introduce coraline algae to the tank, ask someone local, or maybe your LFS if you could scrap some coraline algae from their tanks and the blend it and put it in your tank. If you still want to raise your PH then some of the other ideas other reefers metioned will be better. Good Luck!!!

I have added this rock with purple and pink coralline algae on it.
20181118_082258-1.jpg

Do you think I need to scrape it or can I can I leave it sitting there and it will spead to other rocks?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd say Kalk's advantage is that it adds Calcium and Alkalinity in equal parts. Sodium hydroxide adds no calcium which could be a benefit or a drawback depending on what you intend.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think that looks like caribsea live rock as I started out with it. I would ask a local reefer or LFS to scrap some. I added corals frags to get my coraline algae. You don't want to add live rock to the tank to get coraline algae if the proper precautions haven't been taken, you could introduce unwanted pests in the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back