Mexican Red Leg vs Blue Knuckle Hermit

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ordered 2 blue knuckle hermits, 1 Halloween hermit and currently have one Mexican red leg in my tank.

the Halloween and blue knuckles were added today and don’t seem to care about each other one bit.

However, the Mexican Red Leg chases down the blue knuckles and latches onto their shells, driving the blue knuckles inside their shell. It’s actually kind of crazy, I’ve separated them 4 times since adding the blue knuckles and every time, it runs toward the blue knuckle.

I presume they aren’t compatible and I made an mistake not checking, so right now I have the Mexican Red Leg in a feeding cup “jail” suspended from my lid.

Can anyone confirm? Thinking about tossing the red leg in the sump chamber until I get my new tank and I can thrown him in the real sump.

I knew they can be aggressive, but this guy seems like a savage and I definitely want the blue knuckles over the red leg. They are way nicer.

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience with hermits…they’re absolutely insane creatures. Do you have extra shells around the tank? I have an assorted mix of red leg, electric blue, and Halloween and the small guys use to tackle each other looking to exchange shells. I say tackle cause really they would just walk up and jump the other one lol. I went to multiple lfs stores and asked for old shells and they were happy to give them to me. Once I added extra shells all the “conflict” went away. Just an idea.

I actually have a hermit that has formed a relationship with my RFA and sleeps under half of him and the nem doesn’t even seem to care.

if you don’t have extra shells of all sizes I’d try there. They’re not the best looking for a tank but it stopped my problem.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both kinds in my tank without much conflict. Keeping a supply of extra shellsi the tank is a good idea (whenever I find an empty shell, I throw it behind the rocks where a hermit may find it and trade some day).

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From my experience with hermits…they’re absolutely insane creatures. Do you have extra shells around the tank? I have an assorted mix of red leg, electric blue, and Halloween and the small guys use to tackle each other looking to exchange shells. I say tackle cause really they would just walk up and jump the other one lol. I went to multiple lfs stores and asked for old shells and they were happy to give them to me. Once I added extra shells all the “conflict” went away. Just an idea.

I actually have a hermit that has formed a relationship with my RFA and sleeps under half of him and the nem doesn’t even seem to care.

if you don’t have extra shells of all sizes I’d try there. They’re not the best looking for a tank but it stopped my problem.
I have a ton of shells on the sand bed. 4 hermits total and probably 20 shells that would fit them. I have them scattered in the back corner of the tank.
I even moved the red Mexican to the pile of shells figuring maybe he was looking for a new one and he flipped a couple over and then ran right back to the blue knuckle.

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of shells on the sand bed. 4 hermits total and probably 20 shells that would fit them. I have them scattered in the back corner of the tank.
I even moved the red Mexican to the pile of shells figuring maybe he was looking for a new one and he flipped a couple over and then ran right back to the blue knuckle.
Dang. That was my only suggestion not sure then. IME all my hermits have been peaceful together they have gone after each other for shells but once they saw the other hermit they’ve just walked away. Not sure then. I hope you get it solved though.
Cheers.

Oldguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both kinds in my tank without much conflict. Keeping a supply of extra shellsi the tank is a good idea (whenever I find an empty shell, I throw it behind the rocks where a hermit may find it and trade some day).
Amazon sells a bag of them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back