Mexican Turbos - Love/Hate em

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2024
Messages
382
Reaction score
407
Location
Cleveland, OH
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is more a rant than anything. I have several Mexican turbos in my CUC. They do a great job cleaning. However, they literally bulldoze all my frags. I have several frags that I'm reluctant to glue down until I can confirm they're viable and in proper lighting, etc. Every morning, they're tipped over, moved, etc. Frustrating to say the least. Rant over....
 
even my smaller snails bulldoze some of my frags that I have yet to glue down. Yes its frustrating to say the least. My damsel also doesn't like when I move things around and will move a frag himself if I place it somewhere else. picky little critter.
 
This is why I've changed how I handle my frags... I have a couple zebra turbos that put Mexicans to shame, each of them is about the size of my fist.

I used to do the traditional epoxy sandwich around the stem of the frag plug. These days, I snip the stem and just glue the disc directly to wherever I think it's going to be happy. If it needs to be moved, it's not too hard to simply break the glue bond, and then you can just scrape the remaining glue off and re-glue it in the new spot.

They'll still occasionally bulldoze a frag, but it takes a lot more work so usually they just detour around it once they run into a frag.
 
I use the epoxy sandwich after snipping the stem and don't have any issues with the 10 - 15 large turbo snails + 4 urchins - all stays put. Not sure why so many people have issues - my guess is just using glue isn't strong enough. For me, the epoxy sandwich (glue, epoxy, glue) works great and is much easier and stronger than just glue.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new