MH ballast not firing lamp all the way.

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's on for the old school reefers. I'm still running halides on my system. Yesterday I noticed one of my bulbs not on wemhen it should be. Its a retro system and the ballast is a Hamilton (big black box). I turned everything off and back on, nada. I also put a good bulb in there and it didn't fire. I also placed the original bulb that was not firing in my other reflector and it fired up, so its not the bulb. Now, when I turn the ballast on, I can hear it humming and I can see the bulb try to light up, its VERRRRRY dim and flickering, like barely noticeable. But it stays like that and doesn't fire up fully. Any advice?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I saw it, it looks like a capacitor. I'm assuming that's what it is?
Yep supposed to charge up and send a shot to the bulb to kick start it. Old fluorescent fixtures had them too. Was a little window on the top and they would flicker on startup. Removable and replaceable with a quarter turn at least on the fluorescent fixtures

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home, the working ballast is on and the one thats giving me issues it still off. I'm going to open it up and take some pics. Maybe you guys can point it out to me however I'm pretty sure its what I usually call a capacitor. I've changed them in my ac units before when the condenser fan would not kick on and just sit there and hum.

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here

20201023_165106.jpg 20201023_165132.jpg

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see they have them for sale on the Hamilton site. A direct replacement. However I was wondering if there is a more generic replacement, maybe something on Amazon prime where I can get quicker shipping. Maybe someone with more electrical experience can answer that for me?

Also, is there a way to test this to make sure this is the culprit?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just google the part number - you should find a few different replacement parts. It should be less that $10.

You can also check the connectors and see if they are corroded or just loose. Sometimes a clean will fix 'er up.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see they have them for sale on the Hamilton site. A direct replacement. However I was wondering if there is a more generic replacement, maybe something on Amazon prime where I can get quicker shipping. Maybe someone with more electrical experience can answer that for me?

Also, is there a way to test this to make sure this is the culprit?

Just match the capacitance, contacts and voltage..Voltage can be higher afaict,,

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Hamilton will give you a superb customer service. Talk to them and they will send you what you need. it's cheap to solve that problem. I would go with Hamilton.

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hamilton one have a jumper between the 2 posts. I see it on mine as well. Is that necessary? From what I've reaearched it sounds like its to discharge the capacitor slowly so it doesn't stay charged 100% of the time.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hamilton one have a jumper between the 2 posts. I see it on mine as well. Is that necessary? From what I've reaearched it sounds like its to discharge the capacitor slowly so it doesn't stay charged 100% of the time.
Does it sound like better quality and long life?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

PaulErik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ballast in the picture is a HX-HPF ballast. The capacitor is only used for power factor correction and does nothing with operating or starting the lamp.

If all wiring, lamp socket and lamp is good the ignitor has most likely failed. The ignitor on that ballast will have 3 wires.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back