MH Distance from Water / Frags

  • Thread starter Thread starter -Logzor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
2,563
Reaction score
324
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice regarding MH placement and lighting duration. I'm running a 250w MH lamp (Sfiligoi) over a 40G Breeder as a frag system.

What is the ideal distance of the light from the water level and the depth of the frags and total light duration? I have the option to run four 24" T5 bulbs in combo with the MH but I currently have the T5 turned off.

Initially I had the face of the light about 19" from the water, then my frags were about 5" under the water line. The corals I had under there bleached pretty bad and eventually died, even with a 3-4 hour light cycle. Although, they were in rough shape to begin with.

I'm more or less starting over with frags, most of them were not salvageable, so I want to make sure I get it right this time. I removed the posts from my frag rack allowing the tray to sit 13" under the water line.

19" is the highest I can raise my light but I'm flexible anywhere from 5" deep to 13" deep for the frag tray. I can simply cut the PVC supports to the desired length or remove them entirely (13").

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm a T5 guy so the MH I'm still getting used to.
 
Last edited:
19" inches is fine. Start everything on the bottom, and slowly work them upwards over a few weeks. Also do research on what you buy to see what kind of intensity it likes. Most people do 6-8 hours with mh.
 
Thanks, I'll give that a try. All frags are now at the bottom and I'll start to increase the lighting duration.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new