MH newbie I need tips come on in!!!

Spiderguardnano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2014
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
164
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up guys so I just picked up my first halide system and I'm loving it

It's a 250w DB fixture

So I was reading that your not allowed to touch the halide bulb with your hands as it will cause it to blow up?

Do I need to clean the bulbs and if I do with what?
 
SE

Ushio2.jpg


or DE bulbs?

12KDE_2.jpg


DEs should not be touched. In addition, DE bulbs need a glass shield b/t them and anything else, or you will fry your corals. Do NOT look at a DE bulb without a glass shield in place.
 
Yes, the oils in your hand can cause the glass to break. You have to understand that the plasma envelope operates between 1000-3000°C, so small impurities can cause failure in the outer bulb.
 
If you touched the bulbs with your bare hands, try cleaning them with alcohol before installing them. Make sure they are clean and allow plenty of time for the alcohol to evaporate before running them.
 
The shield reduces the output of UV radiation. However, as far as I understand it, UV only penetrates the top 1mm or so of water, so I never fully understood the recommendation. However, most manufacturers recommend the use of a shield. Any quartz glass should do as long as it is either kept away from the lamp to reduce operating temperatures or is rated for that specific application.
 
Personally, I would turn off that fixture until you have the glass shield. Have seen too many threads ( with pictures ) about the damage done to corals when used an DE without a shield.
 
Personally, I would turn off that fixture until you have the glass shield. Have seen too many threads ( with pictures ) about the damage done to corals when used an DE without a shield.
+1
why not get a 2$ peice of glass to protect 1k+ worth of investment
 
Wow I had no idea this is crazy

So what do you guys suggest I use what type of glass and how thick?

Tempered or non tempered?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new