Michigan Tanks

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to see tanks from around the mitten.

Here is my 29 gallon. Located in Kalamazoo.

f1ca0ab42d936fa949f928034004899a.jpg

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working to fill mine, but I have a 220 in Kalamazoo/Portage.

I don't have any FT shots since the Lansing swap, but there is was a lot more coral added from that swap.
eb7554a0af2a3c9a8fed8016a59aebd5.jpg

OP
OP
Mr Hughes

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working to fill mine, but I have a 220 in Kalamazoo/Portage.

I don't have any FT shots since the Lansing swap, but there is was a lot more coral added from that swap.
eb7554a0af2a3c9a8fed8016a59aebd5.jpg

That’s going to be gorgeous once it fills out. There were quite a few nice pieces at the Lansing swap, so I can only imagine at this point.

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s going to be gorgeous once it fills out. There were quite a few nice pieces at the Lansing swap, so I can only imagine at this point.
Oh, and my wife had a hay day. It's my tank until it comes time to pick it corals, then it's our tank.

You have a pretty nice tank going yourself.

OP
OP
Mr Hughes

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and my wife had a hay day. It's my tank until it comes time to pick it corals, then it's our tank.

You have a pretty nice tank going yourself.

Thanks! My wife still tells me it’s my tank when I get her involved.

When it’s time to trim, or if I accidentally break off a branch of a birdsnest, I’ll have to see if you want a donation.

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My wife still tells me it’s my tank when I get her involved.

When it’s time to trim, or if I accidentally break off a branch of a birdsnest, I’ll have to see if you want a donation.
Absolutely! I would offer the same, but I'm a long way off. All I have are frags right now.

I can offer beer/whiskey and reef talk anytime you are interested though!

OP
OP
Mr Hughes

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats my latest video of the tank. Im in Wayland, but work in Portage. Lots of good people in the area. Ive got a bunch of SPS frags if you're looking.

That is one nice looking tank. Might have to take some of those sticks off your hands in a month or two.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm in Grand Rapids and I recently downsized to a Fluval EVO 13.5, which I started over with corals [kept live rock from previous tank]

If you're interested in seeing/reading more my build thread is: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/michigan-evo-12-13-5-gallons.366050/

If anyone has extra frags from broken pieces, etc. I'm probably interested in buying a pile of broken pieces to start filling my EVO!

Thinking about driving out to the Brownstown frag swap, but not sure what kind of pricing i'll find there - never been to a frag swap and don't want to waste 5 hours driving for similar prices to what i'll find locally. Any feedback/opinions/experiences with local swaps would be great via PM!

OP
OP
Mr Hughes

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm in Grand Rapids and I recently downsized to a Fluval EVO 13.5, which I started over with corals [kept live rock from previous tank]

If you're interested in seeing/reading more my build thread is: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/michigan-evo-12-13-5-gallons.366050/

If anyone has extra frags from broken pieces, etc. I'm probably interested in buying a pile of broken pieces to start filling my EVO!

Thinking about driving out to the Brownstown frag swap, but not sure what kind of pricing i'll find there - never been to a frag swap and don't want to waste 5 hours driving for similar prices to what i'll find locally. Any feedback/opinions/experiences with local swaps would be great via PM!

When I went to the Lansing swap the prices were a little bit lower but not I’ve got to buy it all amazing. However, the selection of corals was much better, especially in the softies and lps. I don’t remember seeing a lot of sticks, but I also got there 3 hours into the event. Last year there was a Grand Rapids swap, but I’m not sure if there will be one this year. If memory serves, I think there is a smaller Lansing swap later in the year as well.

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I went to the Lansing swap the prices were a little bit lower but not I’ve got to buy it all amazing. However, the selection of corals was much better, especially in the softies and lps. I don’t remember seeing a lot of sticks, but I also got there 3 hours into the event. Last year there was a Grand Rapids swap, but I’m not sure if there will be one this year. If memory serves, I think there is a smaller Lansing swap later in the year as well.
I just looked up the GR swap, and it is May 6th. I don't know about a smaller Lansing though. I'm not always up on those, I tend to just wait until I see people talking about them on this forum.

OP
OP
Mr Hughes

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up the GR swap, and it is May 6th. I don't know about a smaller Lansing though. I'm not always up on those, I tend to just wait until I see people talking about them on this forum.

I checked with Steve Clark as I hadn’t heard anything. He assured me details for GR would be posted tomorrow.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a bunch of frags I’d be willing to give for free, I usually just trash them tbh and I feel horrible doing so, so you are more than welcome to save them!

I went to the Lansing Swap and the prices were mostly equal to prices online, some slightly lower, but since you’re not paying for shipping they are cheaper I suppose. I was hoping for better deals. Besides the prices it was an incredible sight to see! And I enjoyed every minute. However I wouldn’t drive 5 hours for it. Not worth it to me. Don’t you have any closer to you?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've got quite a bit of things just laying around, shoot me a PM if you're looking for something specific. :)

Most of the swaps are fun to shop at, Ive been to most all of them around the state (Lansing, Ann Arbor, Detroit, GR, etc). Prices are generally cheap for common things, but can be as expensive for "big ticket" items as shopping online. You can probably find things cheaper locally - but you'll likely have to wait until someone near you has it. It comes down to a convenience factor, usually. The bigger swaps tend to have more variety, but its usually the same core group of vendors. If you havent gone, its worth going at least once, but unless you have a big wad of cash to blow, its likely not worth a five hour drive.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back