Micro Bubble Scrubbing anyone?

What’s your opinion regarding micro bubble scrubbing?

• Total voters

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concept itself is to blast the aquarium with a large amount or micro bubbles (created by connecting a wooden air stone to an air pump). There are a variety of possible benefits, though there are always concerns as well.

benefits:
CO2 Degassing and PH Stabilization
Nutrient Removal
Coral Mucus Removal

drawbacks:
Marine fish agitation/stress

KSUChemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the stress outweighs the benefits. There are other ways to handle nutrient/algae removal that might be a little more difficult, but less stressful overall.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concept itself is to blast the aquarium with a large amount or micro bubbles (created by connecting a wooden air stone to an air pump). There are a variety of possible benefits, though there are always concerns as well.

benefits:
CO2 Degassing and PH Stabilization
Nutrient Removal
Coral Mucus Removal

drawbacks:
Marine fish agitation/stress

So I looked into this b4 getting a skimmer. It will have aeration benefits. However, if you are using higher-CO2 house air, it won't make a difference for pH and even work against other efforts to raise pH.

For nutrient removal, it pretty much will turn your tank into a very inefficient and ineffective skimmer.

Other main drawback is that all those bubbles will pop everywhere causing salt creep everywhere.

Last edited:

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I looked into this b4 getting a skimmer. It will have aeration benefits. However, if you are using higher-CO2 house air, it won't make a difference for pH and even work against other efforts to raise pH.

For nutrient removal, it pretty much will turn your tank into a very inefficient and ineffective skimmer.

Other main drawback is that all those bubbles will pop everywhere causing salt creep everywhere.
I am running an airstone every night for a couple of hours. In my case:
I have an acrylic lid so I think I can benefit for some more areation on night. Also I have no salt creep whatsoever, as when you do it properly bubbles are so small that they don't float to the surface. Not sure if it's truly beneficial but my finned friends look ok after 2 months of this..I can say for sure that it makes the water SUPER clear after just few minutes.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running an airstone every night for a couple of hours. In my case:
I have an acrylic lid so I think I can benefit for some more areation on night. Also I have no salt creep whatsoever, as when you do it properly bubbles are so small that they don't float to the surface. Not sure if it's truly beneficial but my finned friends look ok after 2 months of this..I can say for sure that it makes the water SUPER clear after just few minutes.
I might have to reconsider this...

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to reconsider this...
I also have to mention that I have all lps but one frag of monti, and I have the tank full of macro, so nutrient export is not a huge thing for me (I do not run a skimmer for this reason, so I cannot compare on P and N levels).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back