Micro bubbles after feeding?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this has been happening for a while now (at least a month). Directly after feeding the tank, the AIO section begins to produce thousands (maybe millions) of microbubbles for 1-2 hours then it stops. I have no idea why this is happening or what is causing it, but I feel like it’s probably the skimmer since everything remains underwater the whole time. It’s an IM 20 gallon AIO tank and I’m feeding LRS/Mysis, not a whole lot just enough for the fish and anemones

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question - and I'm probably stupid - what is the 'AIO' section?

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question - and I'm probably stupid - what is the 'AIO' section?
It’s basically a sump but in-tank. Here I’ll post a pic of my setup, hope it helps! Yellow= How water flows through the tank
63637D14-351D-45C5-B202-B14FCC2628CB.jpeg
FEFCC643-B31F-47E8-B976-A7A60D8DF0DB.jpeg
53859DD8-2D66-495A-BA8E-481F950EEB00.jpeg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you rinse your mysis? Could be the oils from the mysis entering the tank and then your skimmer going nuts!? Just a thought.

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you rinse your mysis? Could be the oils from the mysis entering the tank and then your skimmer going nuts!? Just a thought.
I feed the frozen cubes. I’ve tried thawing it in water then draining the water and only feeding the shrimp but that didn’t really help :( is that what you’re talking about?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed the frozen cubes. I’ve tried thawing it in water then draining the water and only feeding the shrimp but that didn’t really help :( is that what you’re talking about?
Yup. The oils from the mysis depending on the amount I feed makes my skimmer goes crazy as well. Try rinsing really well with tap water then a RO rinse.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HI - can you tell me (who is apparently an idiot) lol - the definition of 'AIO' I assume its that all the stuff is like a hang on back - of the tank. I would say 3 things:

1. Its likely related to the skimmer - and nutrients from feeding - and I wouldn't necessarily worry about rinsing, etc.
2. If it doesnt last long - and isnt harming anything - I would tend to ignore it.
3. You have an absolutely stunning beautiful tank

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI - can you tell me (who is apparently an idiot) lol - the definition of 'AIO' I assume its that all the stuff is like a hang on back - of the tank. I would say 3 things:

1. Its likely related to the skimmer - and nutrients from feeding - and I wouldn't necessarily worry about rinsing, etc.
2. If it doesnt last long - and isnt harming anything - I would tend to ignore it.
3. You have an absolutely stunning beautiful tank
Thanks! It’s a year old next month! I just notice the microbubbles building up on my glass/mangrove roots/frag rack (with all of my new, delicate frags) so I was hoping to stop it. AIO means “All In One” referring to all in one tank, and not needing a sump :). There’s nothing underneath the tank, just a storage area for my reef tools and dosing solutions

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. The oils from the mysis depending on the amount I feed makes my skimmer goes crazy as well. Try rinsing really well with tap water then a RO rinse.
Thanks! I’ll try it :) I would’ve thought the sponge in the skimmer would prevent the microbubbles but I don’t really see an alternate reason for this to occur

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you pausing things during feeding then restarting after some time?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I’ll try it :) I would’ve thought the sponge in the skimmer would prevent the microbubbles but I don’t really see an alternate reason for this to occur
SO at times - when I dont fill up my tank (ie I am my own ATO)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry the complete message didn't come through - I meant to say 'when I dont fill up my tank' ie I'm my own ATO - there are micro bubble s - there is no harm done. In fact there are lots of people that recommend letting 'micro/nano' bubbles into the tank.

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the complete message didn't come through - I meant to say 'when I dont fill up my tank' ie I'm my own ATO - there are micro bubble s - there is no harm done. In fact there are lots of people that recommend letting 'micro/nano' bubbles into the tank.
Huh, ive never heard of that! I have an ATO and checked the water level so I know that’s not the issue

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huh, ive never heard of that! I have an ATO and checked the water level so I know that’s not the issue
all I meant was - that if your coral and tank look ok - and the bubbles only occur only after feeding - its probably not an issue - and you have time to trouble shoot it. My guess - as others have said - is that it relates to the skimmer somehow. Do you see any overflow? But - if not - and things are ok - I would not worry. On the other hand - if you are seeing bubbles all the time - then I would be a little worried. The problem with the AIO (I got it now) - systems is that every plumbing is different - and there could be multiple possibilities for bubbles. My main point - bubbles do not 'hurt' anything. (unless its the kind of bubbles that are caused by pumps under high pressure - or new water from a faucet - with supersaturated nitrogen. If you post the type of tank/All in one - that you have - it might be easier to say what might be happening?

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all I meant was - that if your coral and tank look ok - and the bubbles only occur only after feeding - its probably not an issue - and you have time to trouble shoot it. My guess - as others have said - is that it relates to the skimmer somehow. Do you see any overflow? But - if not - and things are ok - I would not worry. On the other hand - if you are seeing bubbles all the time - then I would be a little worried. The problem with the AIO (I got it now) - systems is that every plumbing is different - and there could be multiple possibilities for bubbles. My main point - bubbles do not 'hurt' anything. (unless its the kind of bubbles that are caused by pumps under high pressure - or new water from a faucet - with supersaturated nitrogen. If you post the type of tank/All in one - that you have - it might be easier to say what might be happening?
It’s the IM 20 Peninsula, I think it is the skimmer. I know that the bubbles are definitely bothering one of my scolys so that’s really why I want it to stop :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s the IM 20 Peninsula, I think it is the skimmer. I know that the bubbles are definitely bothering one of my scolys so that’s really why I want it to stop :)
I believe you:)... I would suggest - either troubleshooting on their website - or calling them tomorrow. Unless someone has specific recommendation about that particular tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You've received some good ideas already. My only additional thought would be to try shutting off the skimmer for feeding and leaving it off a couple of hours, then start it back up and see if you have the same issue.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You've received some good ideas already. My only additional thought would be to try shutting off the skimmer for feeding and leaving it off a couple of hours, then start it back up and see if you have the same issue.
The only other thing I thought of is - could there be some 'entrance', 'tube', etc that is partly clogged - and when you feed - you get kind of a (I dont remember the term) - but its when vacuum causes microbubbles due to high pressure - which when the food 'dissolves' - the small opening is open again? - or some way that food particles are somehow blocking something and some of the skimmer air is going into the water as compared to only into the skimmer?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back