Micro Scrubbing Bubbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use microscrubbing to help bind organics to be carried away to the skimmer, the stabilization in PH at night is just a perk from it clearing the Co2 buildup at night.

It also helps keep diatoms and algae off the glass. As far as corals sliming, the first nights of running 8 hours they slimed up, by the time I was at 4 hours a night, they don't slime up anymore, they seem to have adjusted to it, I have max polyp extension during the days and night now. They may be sliming up, but not enough for me to see chunks floating off of them, which to me hopefully indicates there isn't a bunch of crud on them to shake off anymore.

I run this every night now for 4 hours. I plan to keep this running till I stop reefing, if ever. Just the darkness of my skimmate the first week of doing this was proof enough for me that it works. I do get bubbles trapped in some under spots in my rocks from time to time, but I'm using all pukani so I expected that. No ill effects on any of my tanks running this, still have a ton of sponges and micro fauna, mysis shrimp, giant pods etc.

The first week you do this, you'll see a very heavy bubble amount in your DT, as time goes on, you should see the bubbles disperse faster, meaning not alot of organics in your water column, and you can cut down on the amount of time you run it.

I will say however, there shouldn't be SO many bubbles that you can't see past them and see your corals, that's too much.

This is the most bubbles I've seen doing this method, and this was after moving a few rocks around.
IMAG0117.jpg

On average it looks like this,
IMAG0123.jpg

Also I ONLY run this at night after lights off. I took these pics to help a couple friends dial in their bubble amount. It literally varies from tank to tank. Hope this helps anyone interested in this method, I also combine this sometimes with the calcium carbonate water clearing method.

My wood air stone sits directly under my pump return intake. There are some images in my build thread. Some salt creep is expected, but if your sump can handle the extra water, I just have my returns pointed further down into the tank, that way there aren't a ton of bubbles breaking on the surface right away. Just remember pointing your returns down may siphon more water out of the DT when your pump is off, depending on your setup.

Last edited:

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Info. Think i just need to tune my air pump down and give it another try

I use microscrubbing to help bind organics to be carried away to the skimmer, the stabilization in PH at night is just a perk from it clearing the Co2 buildup at night.

It also helps keep diatoms and algae off the glass. As far as corals sliming, the first nights of running 8 hours they slimed up, by the time I was at 4 hours a night, they don't slime up anymore, they seem to have adjusted to it, I have max polyp extension during the days and night now. They may be sliming up, but not enough for me to see chunks floating off of them, which to me hopefully indicates there isn't a bunch of crud on them to shake off anymore.

I run this every night now for 4 hours. I plan to keep this running till I stop reefing, if ever. Just the darkness of my skimmate the first week of doing this was proof enough for me that it works. I do get bubbles trapped in some under spots in my rocks from time to time, but I'm using all pukani so I expected that. No ill effects on any of my tanks running this, still have a ton of sponges and micro fauna, mysis shrimp, giant pods etc.

The first week you do this, you'll see a very heavy bubble amount in your DT, as time goes on, you should see the bubbles disperse faster, meaning not alot of organics in your water column, and you can cut down on the amount of time you run it.

I will say however, there shouldn't be SO many bubbles that you can't see past them and see your corals, that's too much.

This is the most bubbles I've seen doing this method, and this was after moving a few rocks around.
IMAG0117.jpg

On average it looks like this,
IMAG0123.jpg

Also I ONLY run this at night after lights off. I took these pics to help a couple friends dial in their bubble amount. It literally varies from tank to tank. Hope this helps anyone interested in this method, I also combine this sometimes with the calcium carbonate water clearing method.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A euro edge, or lip on your tank will help with salt creep. Just be sure to wipe the underside as the bubbles kind of turn your whole DT into a skimmer lol.

@The Macro Guy
Where did you hear to dial down the bubbles to the point where you can see your corals?
I've running pretty much full blast but making sure my pump chamber does not bubble up.

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A euro edge, or lip on your tank will help with salt creep. Just be sure to wipe the underside as the bubbles kind of turn your whole DT into a skimmer lol.

@The Macro Guy
Where did you hear to dial down the bubbles to so you can see your corals?
I've running pretty much full blast but making sure my pump chamber does not bubble up.

I don't full blast as it would be possible to over saturate the tank with O2 on a full blast to the point you can't see your corals, it's one of those too much of a good thing things. Like too much GFO, too much carbon, etc.

I also think this would mess with your tank chemistry, I'm not a chemist or physicist but I feel like over saturating a tank with bubbles to the point that the surface buoyancy or water density is changed, can't be a good thing, especially for long periods of time. I know on my tank on particular, There was a near 1" rise in my sump in water levels with TOO much bubbles, it would cause my skimmer to overflow and ATO to bug out, (I have a smart ato). I believe the rise in sump levels would be from the pump now pumping bubbles and water into the tank, rather than just water, the return rate would also fluctuate depending on how fast the bubbles are dispersing in the DT. Trust me, this all gave me a headache, but once I got it dialed in it was like a ray of light through dark clouds, and now I couldn't be happier lol.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From Elegant Corals, LLC

Elegant Corals has been asked countless times what the benefits are to our method.

Here are a few observations and initial benefits we have seen other hobbyists have witnessed first hand WITHOUT ANY CHANGE to what they have been doing before, with just the addition of this regimen to their reef program. To many, seeing is believing.

1. CO2 degassing
2. Excess slime removal from corals and fish
3. Better water clarity
4. removal of detritus and floating particulates
5. Remediation of Cyano and Dinoflagellate infestations
6. Better coral and fish membrane health which allows them to grow faster and more colorful...
7. Better appetite in fish (more foraging in algae eaters)
8. Higher pod and invertebrate populations (snails included)
9. Higher activity levels in invertebrates including spawning and breeding
10. Faster carapace hardening in Inverts after shedding... making them less vulnerable to predators
11. Higher survival rate of corals, inverts, and fish (provided water chemistry is good and stable)...

the list goes on and on...

Once again, these are just a few of the physical and physiological observed benefits that hobbyists CAN SEE...

The chemistry and mechanics behind this method is extensive... and very application specific... and we can get lost in the amount of literature and chemical electric reactions that occur in moving (dynamic) water versus static benchtop chemistry...

Solubility of ions in a solution depend on electro negativity of the solute (water in this case)... water is not just water... it is a stream of life giving electricity...

The bubbles rubbing up against each other are like balloons or water droplets in the storm clouds... as they pass each other and rub and bump into each other, static electricity is generated... that's the difference between a stagnant dead lake and a dynamic healthy lake... moving water...

Hopefully this helps answer observed results which is a portion of the scientific method.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this unintentionally every time I do a water change. As my return pump is filling up the main display sometimes the water level in the sump gets too low and the pump draws air in. It sprays heavy bubbles into the display for a few minutes. The same effect described above happens (seems to lift detritus and causes the coras to slime). Seems like it can't hurt. This sort of thing probably happens in the ocean when the reef is exposed to storm surf and crashing waves.

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Elegant Corals, LLC

Elegant Corals has been asked countless times what the benefits are to our method.

Here are a few observations and initial benefits we have seen other hobbyists have witnessed first hand WITHOUT ANY CHANGE to what they have been doing before, with just the addition of this regimen to their reef program. To many, seeing is believing.

1. CO2 degassing
2. Excess slime removal from corals and fish
3. Better water clarity
4. removal of detritus and floating particulates
5. Remediation of Cyano and Dinoflagellate infestations
6. Better coral and fish membrane health which allows them to grow faster and more colorful...
7. Better appetite in fish (more foraging in algae eaters)
8. Higher pod and invertebrate populations (snails included)
9. Higher activity levels in invertebrates including spawning and breeding
10. Faster carapace hardening in Inverts after shedding... making them less vulnerable to predators
11. Higher survival rate of corals, inverts, and fish (provided water chemistry is good and stable)...

the list goes on and on...

Once again, these are just a few of the physical and physiological observed benefits that hobbyists CAN SEE...

The chemistry and mechanics behind this method is extensive... and very application specific... and we can get lost in the amount of literature and chemical electric reactions that occur in moving (dynamic) water versus static benchtop chemistry...

Solubility of ions in a solution depend on electro negativity of the solute (water in this case)... water is not just water... it is a stream of life giving electricity...

The bubbles rubbing up against each other are like balloons or water droplets in the storm clouds... as they pass each other and rub and bump into each other, static electricity is generated... that's the difference between a stagnant dead lake and a dynamic healthy lake... moving water...

Hopefully this helps answer observed results which is a portion of the scientific method.

Elegant corals combined with Joseph Weathersons approach inspired me to try a combination of their methods, I'm not sure if they are one in the same person or company though. Along with the occasional Calcium Carbonate powder turned my skimmer into a powerhouse for organic removal.

I would need to see one of Elegant Corals tanks in action to safely say or recommend a full blown coral hiding bubblestorm in a tank. Just from my personal experience too much bubbling had adverse effects on equipment.

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on this?

A forum member from another site, named "Jedimasterben", explained some of the makeup of some products like reef snow which after dosing had an after effect of clearing the water column. Like unreal crystal clear water.

It turns out that a food grade minimum 97% pure type Calcium Carbonate Powder can also bind most of the organics on the water to be moved into a skimmer or filter sock, since it doesn't dissolve in high PH water, it stays suspended till it is carried or skimmed out. His formula was

"250mL solution, use 5 level tablespoons (roughly 115 grams) of CaCO3 powder and add roughly 230mL of RO/DI water. This should mix right about 250mL. The powder will NOT dissolve, it will stay suspended in the water."

Then dosing was 1ml per 20 gallons.

I've been doing a 15ml dose every week or right before a water change.

I started researching organic removal awhile ago once I had my tank goals planed out. Stumble across alot of random useful information lol.

Last edited:

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right before that post I just purchased some more KZ Coral Snow, next time I will just make some. Works good. Do you use it with micro bubbles (same time)?

Cvaughn1063

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just dose some peroxide and you will achieve similar affect, same with the co2 diffusers that guy albert theil praises, you guys are saving a ton of money compared to those who use Ozone thats for darn sure!

AnOldSaltyDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm sound interesting. Wonder if the difference in gas exchange could negatively effect one's PH if the co2 / o2 ratio in the surrounding air isn't balanced? Personally I'd monitor it for a bit just to err on the side of caution.

usernam invalid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone worried about destroying their return pump impellers from cavitation with all the air going into the return pump?

Reeflogic