Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this, I don't know long it was running for before the airstone floated to the top, but even though my water was clear already, it appears to be that much more clear, particularity at the surface.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about an Oxydator. I think nuisance algae is one of the benefits of the oxydator, I might need to double check that. It however is a completely different animal compared to the micro bubbles. I suggest you try some suds. [emoji475]
After using Oxydators for around 25 years I am well aware of what it is capable of and what I see exiting from it. However, yes of course it is completely different but as far as oxygen enrichment it is more than capable of greatly elevating the water content and many corals as well as fish appear to benefit from the introduction off an Oxydator as has been observed by many.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve Tyree wrote a book about trizonal filtration.

In the surf area micro bubbles are more than common and SPS Corals thrive. I am skeptical that this might just be another money making scheme...

1. CO2 degassing
-Proper flow and skimmer will be sufficient if not 100%. The problem is most modern houses have elevated levels of CO2. Back in the day I stressed about my PH being only 7.9-8.0. I took this reading post skimmer. Eventually I took the same water outside with an airstone and after a bit of time only to see the PH of the same water go up to 8.2-8.3.

2. Excess slime removal from corals and fish
-Proper flow does this how do "scrubbing bubbles" help and might this irritate the fish gills?

3. Better water clarity
-Of course any hydrophobic material that clouds the water will attach to the surface area of the bubble. Given a constant volume of air the smaller the bubble the better...That said proper flow and skimmer do the same.

4. removal of detritus and floating particulates
-Proper flow does this as well

5. Remediation of Cyano and Dinoflagellate infestations
-would like to see the research...If the bubbles touch the Cyano and stick to it..maybe...I've always felt proper water conditions and periodic changes prevent this. Occasionally I will see a Cyano bloom only to just go away.

6. Better coral and fish membrane health which allows them to grow faster and more colorful...
-How?
7. Better appetite in fish (more foraging in algae eaters)
-How?
8. Higher pod and invertebrate populations (snails included)
-How?
9. Higher activity levels in invertebrates including spawning and breeding
How?
10. Faster carapace hardening in Inverts after shedding... making them less vulnerable to predators
-How?

11. Higher survival rate of corals, inverts, and fish (provided water chemistry is good and stable)...
-Of course Good and Stable Water Chemistry are necessary for survival.

One thing Steve Tyree mentioned is sponges are very important to the reef ecosystem. They do a lot of filtering and in my opinion are very under rated in the health of a mature reef tank or Captive Reef Ecosystem. Air in contact with the surface of a sponge may damage it. Having a sponge, most under and deep surrounding your live rock were you cannot see may respond negatively to the ingesting large amounts of micro bubbles.

I would like items 2,5-10 thoroughly explained before I look into this.

Just my opinion

Cheers

Bill

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't knock it till you tried it. I suggest you look up Elegant Corals LLC. They have been using the micro bubbles since 2001 and have a lot of data.

Yeah, I have talked them. People keep promising data, but never seem to be able to produce anything but anecdote. And we should absolutely knock things we haven't tried if there is no actual support for that that thing.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for the reply may give it a try. I'm 98% sticks so wanted to hear from some stick heads.

Why try it? What do you expect to happen? What is happening now that you need to change?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why try it? What do you expect to happen? What is happening now that you need to change?

Nothing that I really need to change. Just starting to see a little bubble algae popping up. So was thinking this method may get whatever is between the rocks and maybe the bubble algae to the top so that I can remove.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone that is hesitant or saying anything against it...whats the harm? No one is making money off this by providing any claims and at the end of the day all it is is bubbles.

It's not really that simple. No one including I wants to harm there system so there's nothing wrong with looking for info or asking questions.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone that is hesitant or saying anything against it...whats the harm? No one is making money off this by providing any claims and at the end of the day all it is is bubbles.

There is at least one company saying they are going to have a product for sale for this. And the harm is the same as using ginger to try to cure ich - there is no evidence that it does what people say it does.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing that I really need to change. Just starting to see a little bubble algae popping up. So was thinking this method may get whatever is between the rocks and maybe the bubble algae to the top so that I can remove.
That worries me greatly. There have been lots of tanks that have crashed because they tried a new fad just to see. If there were some support to the fad I might feel differently.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you you have me thinking more now so trust me when I say i may never try it my sticks don't like change

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My understanding is bubble algae can grow in zero phosphate and nitrate conditions. Mr. Saltwater has a good YouTube video on how to suck it up however. [emoji16]

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bubbles won't hurt.[emoji118] [emoji111] [emoji106]
The worse thing that can happen is salt creep. Watch your lights from getting spray also.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I can think of a lot of things I would rather spend 15 bucks on for my tanks.
One way - supersaturation of bubbles can cause death in fishes - gas bubble disease.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/8/fish
"When fish breathe this supersaturated water, the dissolved gases may leave the bloodstream and form air emboli (bubbles): gas bubble disease. These emboli occur in a variety of tissues, ranging from the eye to gills, along with internal organs such as the heart and swim bladder. In acute supersaturation, you may also see emboli in the gill lamellae, opercula and around the mouth. Additionally, ‘silver lines’ (which are actually long gas bubbles) may be visible between the fin rays."

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is bubble algae can grow in zero phosphate and nitrate conditions. Mr. Saltwater has a good YouTube video on how to suck it up however. [emoji16]

The ones that I can get to I take out its the ones in the hard to get to places I want to get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 138 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back