Status
Not open for further replies.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the soul reason this thread keeps derailing into arguments and you should be removed from it.

I asked the powers that be and they said they see nothing wrong with my contributions here.

You,Jedi, and passive agressive greenman have contributed absolutely nothing but doubt to this thread, Randy may be against it, but at least he is approaching it with science.

This is great! I have been told in this thread that I am asking too scientific and not scientific at all. I love this.

Neither Randy or I are against it, and I am continually astounded that people keep thinking we are.

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're making this far more personal than it needs to be. You're acting like I am running your dog over and Rich is riding shotgun peeing in your wheaties. :D

Cruz has made some extraordinary claims and has dodged every question for the data to back them up. The burden of proof is only on the person making the claims (this is how science works, if you tried to submit a paper for peer review with no data to back up claims, you'd be laughed out of academia), yet he (and many others) is continuing to tell others that the burden of proof is on them. Cruz continues to claim to be a scientist with 'science degrees' and yet refuses to actually comply with the 'science' part. :)

So what more data did you need?

PH graph, check
ORA data, check
Picture Evidence, check
90% user post success rate, check
Detailed instructions, check
Alternative methods, check
Complete list of noticable changes to look out for while scrubbing, check
Gas Exhange data from Lasse and randal, check
Methology of bubble usage to clean sewer systems, thanks to Lasse, check
Images of bubbles being used to help fish, check
Recommended size of bubbles, check
Proper Equipment, check

Should Cruz get you a triton water test of his tank too?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you set yours up, Rich? Your one day "test" to prove it didn't work... How did you set it up?

Why are you dodging the question?

That is great! Squamosa when initially asked for data didn't supply much, now says he has data from before and during 'for all to see'. When asked for it he still doesn't supply it. You have supplied none either. Now you are pretending to be indignant that I am not telling you what I did? And that somehow, one day (which you have no idea how long I did whatever I did) is not enough when your initial literature said that improvements are seen in a single treatment. Amazing.
elegantcorals.jpg

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will ignore that cause I'm a grown man I don't play with kids. I don't have to contribute anything I'm not the one that came up with the idea or claimed it work. How can you get upset at someone for wanting information lol
Don't get mad cause I'm not down with you.

@Cruz_Arias I understand that we all have jobs. So I will be waiting for your answers.

Yes... Elegant Corals came up with the delivery method that I taught them.
I know I've been doing it a long time as well as a few of the guys I used to reef with back then.

It's not turning your system into a Jacuzzi...

Finesse versus Brute Force

The Elegant Corals method is finesse method of infusing atmospheric air to any body of water ONLY UP TO THE POINT OF EQUILIBRIUM...

PLEASE DO NOT turn your tank into a jacuzzi and we'll attempt to explain why.

That affects the specific gravity of water.
Very similarly to what has been presumed many many decades ago with the Bermuda Triangle.

It was believed that huge gas pockets were generated (unknown or speculative) and were so large that boats and ships would "drop", causing hull and other structural damage.

Pressurized "jets" of bubbles (without enough time to dissipate the energy) is extremely dangerous in a domestic aquarium and public aquaria. This leads to nitrogen supersaturation and other known issues of other gas super saturation...

We have seen it before in a large public aquarium, here in the states and the devastation the ozone systems created was horrifying...

So, if you are wanting to try this method, please feel free to see other posts below that show the "light mist or light hazy fog" and how gentle the delivery method is...

As any innovation in this hobby, we strive to refine what we see as beneficial.
And yes, it continues to EVOLVE.

Attached is an example from, once again, Brian Mason.

One small 10mL syringe of air created this much haze in 10 minutes... notice the bubbles not rising to the surface.

So two things:

NO JACUZZI JETTING

NO HIGH PRESSURE FORCED METHODS.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys it has been said multiple times now. Please keep this thread civil and stop with the personal attacks and masked vulgarity. This thread has the potential to be great with great info and friendly debate, but if it continues as it is its in danger of being shut down.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you set yours up, Rich? Your one day "test" to prove it didn't work... How did you set it up?

Please answer or show us... Cordially...

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great! Squamosa when initially asked for data didn't supply much, now says he has data from before and during 'for all to see'. When asked for it he still doesn't supply it. You have supplied none either. Now you are pretending to be indignant that I am not telling you what I did? And that somehow, one day (which you have no idea how long I did whatever I did) is not enough when your initial literature said that improvements are seen in a single treatment. Amazing.
elegantcorals.jpg

Looks right to me, clearly says 1 24 hour treatment. It doesnt say One day run it for 2 hours. The general 4-8 hour time frame came because people wanted an amount of time to start.

My friend did this and didnt listen to me, had it on for 3 days straight. He was amazed by how his tank looked when he finally returned home.

From what Ive seen you can run this for days at a time if you want to see some boosted results right away, but the fact people cant even follow the original instructions, I see Cruz's reasonings for not saying this. As I am reluctant to even mention it.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not privy to any information and this is the only thread on bubbling that I participate in. This thread did link to another thread with same topic. I didn't read through because the pages I breezed through were more of the same.

Being skeptical is healthy provided one also has an open mind. My mind is open and I've already stated that I believe the "anecdotal," reports that many fellow reefers have reported here.

Now, as far as data, ORP was increased, great!! Let's keep this simple though. On a tank with a skimmer, does bubbling provide aeration benefit? What about a skimmerless tank? Presumably it would! Makes since the particles being removed would also increase skimmate. Now stating PAR is increased from this........seems like a stretch! See, this is where my skeptic side comes out. if your tank has so much debri in the water column that PAR is reduced and is reduced so much that coral growth is impaired there are other husbandry issues to be delt with. I could be wrong! Please share some before and after PAR pics, but only with hobby grade equipment!
It has been proved that the yellowing of water can be corrected by carbon filtration. I believe it was a BRS video that showed a decrease in par going from memory. Possibly the micro bubbles are doing the same thing by facilitating nutrient export? Most say their water is clearer which would increase PAR I would think. Just a thought.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks right to me, clearly says 1 24 hour treatment. It doesnt say One day run it for 2 hours. The general 4-8 hour time frame came because people wanted an amount of time to start.

I was using his words from his post, 'one day'. He just did it again. I am fully aware it says 1 24 hour treatment and know about 4-8 hours. You know he is now saying that 1 24 hour treatment isn't enough? But only when it doesn't show results. When 1 24 hour treatment shows something he likes, he says its great.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been proved that the yellowing of water can be corrected by carbon filtration. I believe it was a BRS video that showed a decrease in par going from memory. Possibly the micro bubbles are doing the same thing by facilitating nutrient export? Most say their water is clearer which would increase PAR I would think. Just a thought.
For sure. What many would like to know is what is the PAR difference before and after to know if it makes any sense to do the method or if we are seeing conformation bias.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct...

I'm not sure of ALL the mechanics behind this... but there were claims by the Japanese and their studies with the very fine bubbles that "turned discoloured water" clear again...
Increased PAR is correlated to increased light penetration from water clarity... :)

Thanks KLP

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see improved water clarity (one day) then you are seeing results... at least the start of it...

Also, try utilizing a TDS meter or sensor as well... the less TDS, the better the light penetration which is in direct relationship to clarity and increase PAR deeper in the tank...

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it just by putting an airline under a prop pump. The results seemed very similar to what people are showing.

That is disingenuous Cruz. Sometimes I pour defrosted fish food in tank water into my reef and it makes bubbles, I guess I am bubbling too.

Why try it? What do you expect to happen? What is happening now that you need to change?

Wasted money and dead animals.

Gotcha. I can think of a lot of things I would rather spend 15 bucks on for my tanks.
One way - supersaturation of bubbles can cause death in fishes - gas bubble disease.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/8/fish
"When fish breathe this supersaturated water, the dissolved gases may leave the bloodstream and form air emboli (bubbles): gas bubble disease. These emboli occur in a variety of tissues, ranging from the eye to gills, along with internal organs such as the heart and swim bladder. In acute supersaturation, you may also see emboli in the gill lamellae, opercula and around the mouth. Additionally, ‘silver lines’ (which are actually long gas bubbles) may be visible between the fin rays."

Not understood, thought. It seems the benefits are not from the soup itself, rather from placebo and conformation bias. There are a million other things that people have thought have an effect that don't or that actually have a negative effect. Finding out if something actually does what people say it does is a benefit of the scientific method.

That is forgetting all the people it did not work for. I know of at least 3 people that methodically tested it and had no remission of bryopsis, and I know a lot more that didn't methodically test it. It is hit and miss, and has not be shown to actually work reliably.

We have to have better evidence to support extreme claims. Anecdote is notoriously mistaken. Anecdote is a good starting point for research, but there needs to be more. We have seen so many products/methods in our hobby that people swear make things 'better' but then the fads go away because there is no actual evidence of the claims and people eventually learn that they get the same results without the extra work. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. :D

Why do people think it is good for corals to slime up?

The first quote is the best one. Contradicts everything he has been arguing about the last 50+ pages. Tried it, saw the good results, wants evidence it works.

You dont have to say it doesnt work literally, but your tone and conversation this entire thread are enough to warrant that mindset comming from you.

Oh until the part you actually tried it and it worked for you, then you needed evidence that it worked. L M A O!!!

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what more data did you need?

PH graph, check
ORA data, check
Picture Evidence, check
90% user post success rate, check
Detailed instructions, check
Alternative methods, check
Complete list of noticable changes to look out for while scrubbing, check
Gas Exhange data from Lasse and randal, check
Methology of bubble usage to clean sewer systems, thanks to Lasse, check
Images of bubbles being used to help fish, check
Recommended size of bubbles, check
Proper Equipment, check

Should Cruz get you a triton water test of his tank too?
AFAIK, the PH, ORP, and picture 'evidence' are all post-bubbling. Without painting a very clear picture of 'before', the results hold little water (pun intended :D), and this is only one problem. Cruz still has yet to quantify the following (I've removed the ones on the list that are plausible):

1. CO2 degassing
2. Excess slime removal from corals and fish
5. Remediation of Cyano and Dinoflagellate infestations
6. Better coral and fish membrane health which allows them to grow faster and more colorful...
7. Better appetite in fish (more foraging in algae eaters)
8. Higher pod and invertebrate populations (snails included)
9. Higher activity levels in invertebrates including spawning and breeding
10. Faster carapace hardening in Inverts after shedding... making them less vulnerable to predators
11. Higher survival rate of corals, inverts, and fish (provided water chemistry is good and stable)...

Some of these are easily quantifiable, such as measuring many points of data for CO2 levels before bubbling to establish the baseline and after bubbling to show the difference, and not just 'one off' measurements, as CO2 levels do vary over time. Some of these, such as 'better appetite in fish' and 'faster carapace hardening in inverts' are extremely difficult to quantify, and again Cruz continues to ignore that the burden of proof in these claims is on him, with more being necessary that just saying 'I think I see it, therefore it must be true.' Some other hobbyists report that they do seem to see an increase in vitality, but that can be fallacious thinking, as they were told beforehand that it is something that they should expect to see.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first quote is the best one. Contradicts everything he has been arguing about the last 50+ pages. Tried it, saw the good results, wants evidence it works.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

You dont have to say it doesnt work literally, but your tone and conversation this entire thread are enough to warrant that mindset comming from you.

And clearly by your tone in this entire thread you hate science! See how silly that sounds. You continually misrepresent what I say because it is easier to argue against a strawman than what is actually being said.

Oh until the part you actually tried it and it worked for you, then you needed evidence that it worked. L M A O!!!

LOL LOL LOL LOL What results was I referring to? LOL LOL LOL LOL

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFAIK, the PH, ORP, and picture 'evidence' are all post-bubbling. Without painting a very clear picture of 'before', the results hold little water (pun intended :D), and this is only one problem. Cruz still has yet to quantify the following (I've removed the ones on the list that are plausible):

Some of these are easily quantifiable, such as measuring many points of data for CO2 levels before bubbling to establish the baseline and after bubbling to show the difference, and not just 'one off' measurements, as CO2 levels do vary over time. Some of these, such as 'better appetite in fish' and 'faster carapace hardening in inverts' are extremely difficult to quantify, and again Cruz continues to ignore that the burden of proof in these claims is on him, with more being necessary that just saying 'I think I see it, therefore it must be true.' Some other hobbyists report that they do seem to see an increase in vitality, but that can be fallacious thinking, as they were told beforehand that it is something that they should expect to see.

Run the reports yourself...
You wouldn't believe me anyways if I posted my results...
3rd party testing is required for NON-Bias...

That's the scientific way...

I've already proved repeatability by teaching others the "method" and we're showing validity...

Scientific method dictates that the "science part" is trying to disprove (bit by bit) that it does not work and that it is a placebo.

The burden is in the court of those attempting to debunk this method.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! The 1000 was for where I said microbubbling didn't work, not that I didn't get the advertised results!

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 8.34.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 8.34.55 AM.png

Because you did it wrong...
I cannot be responsible for other's stupidity... If you wanted to set it up correctly you should have asked the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back