Microbacter 7 Overdose?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 40B AIO that I’m adding a brightwell xport NO3 brick to to keep my nutrients in check.

Part of the process for adding it was to add microbacter 7 to a bucket with the brick and let it sit for 24 hours. You then add the brick and the water to the tank.

A BRS video showed them using an entire 250ml bottle. I used a 125ml bottle.

My concern is just adding all that microbacter 7 to the tank at once. I know the video seemed to say it was okay, but that’s like a 50x overdose.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't microbacter 7 a live bottled bacteria? From what I understand you can't overdose bacteria. I've dumped entire bottles of bacteria in to start up tanks before...no problems.

Yes that is correct.

I don't really think anything is gonna happen. From reading different posts it seems the most theoretical is oxygen starvation but that is unlikely as there are other limiting factors in terms of available organics for that many bacteria to grow. If your concerned do a water change.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the manufacturers suggestion not BRS. If more was required I'm sure Brightwell would be more than happy to sell more product. And being a bacteria if they are well suited for the aquarium environment dosing amount should be here nor there, they should proliferate wether you add alot or a little. If they aren't suited for long term survival in aquariums, which I suspect for most, the results are going to be short lived in which case I'd use as little as recommended so you can keep dosing and replenishing. I've used microbactor7 a few times and the instructions say right im on the bottle gross overdosing has no benefits.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeding the blocks with mb7 before use is a huge false sales ploy don’t buy into what bottle bac sellers state is best. Not needed.

if you added it to your tank no harm, but mb7 or any other bac isn’t needed in a running tank. You’d add the block dry to the reef, it takes on its own bacteria. I am about to start a thread on bottle bac sales trickery, this will be one, I didn’t know BRS was promoting false sales practices

in no way does seeding with mb7 do anything differently than not seeding with mb7. The bac in our tanks are the seed, the free bac already there

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not snake oil for sure, we have tanks that cycle (slowly) with it for sure. They have live bacteria in the bottle but the ripoff part was advertising it as a different outcome than not using mb7, the tank's resident bacteria get in the pores just the same without the doser $ needing bought

It was a neat mention above how the 02 isn't a big risk if there wasn't a lot of extra feed available to sustain the bac as a quick bloom. mb7 has certainly not shown to be quick anything in the cycling posts

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not snake oil for sure, we have tanks that cycle (slowly) with it for sure. They have live bacteria in the bottle but the ripoff part was advertising it as a different outcome than not using mb7, the tank's resident bacteria get in the pores just the same without the doser $ needing bought

It was a neat mention above how the 02 isn't a big risk if there wasn't a lot of extra feed available to sustain the bac
Do you think it might help get the Xport NO3 brick get going a bit faster, though?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no way at all

our tanks are swirling, swirling in bacteria. They used to say there was no bacteria in reef water, actually a macna speaker said that.

then:

there are lots and lots of filter bacteria floating in water, enough to cycle an all dry start in twenty days.

if there are lots of free filter bacteria in our water, then we don't need to buy the bacteria in a bottle

if reef cycles cannot stall out due to nitrite presence, or adding a bit too much ammonia, then we don't need to re-purchase new strains of bottle bac

the sales machine is massive for biotics in our hobby, that they imply a deficit in our tanks is the misleading part we enjoy making threads showing opposite of claims.

those bricks do absolutely nothing tangible for a reef tank if they're aerobic in action, every one of us already has too much surface area and nobody is in deficit

the bricks make changes when they function anaerobically or when they leak enough tin into the water to cause icp help threads

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep. No chance of an overdose. I agree just add it to the tank without the need for a brick.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to follow up on this. It's been almost 2 weeks, and it's working really well so far. The NO3 brick and Microbacter 7 combo has seemingly taken my nitrates from ~15 down to 3, and my PO4 is nice and stable around .06. I'm hoping they stay this way and don't bottom out. I'll update if they do.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using it on my new tank too. Probably didn't need to as I moved sand and bio bricks and balls from other established tanks. I'd probably use it again too. Not that they claim to do what won't happen naturally. Just that it will speed up the process and that it contains different strands of bacteria that you might not get some of them with a natural cycle.

The bottle also says 'Grossly overdosing MicrōBacter7 will not significantly increase the effectiveness of the product, nor the rate at which it enacts changes in aquaria.'

So overdosing isn't a problem, just a waste of their product and they say it themselves.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using it on my new tank too. Probably didn't need to as I moved sand and bio bricks and balls from other established tanks. I'd probably use it again too. Not that they claim to do what won't happen naturally. Just that it will speed up the process and that it contains different strands of bacteria that you might not get some of them with a natural cycle.

The bottle also says 'Grossly overdosing MicrōBacter7 will not significantly increase the effectiveness of the product, nor the rate at which it enacts changes in aquaria.'

So overdosing isn't a problem, just a waste of their product and they say it themselves.
Yup, that seems to be the consensus. I mostly just used the full 125ml because I needed to seed the Brightwell XPORT NO3 brick, not because I wanted to dose so much. BRS's instructions just happen to state you should add all the seed water to the tank (and they used 250ml).

I'm thinking the drop is probably due to the Microbacter7, so now I'm waiting to see what effects come from the NO3 brick.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the only thing I have noticed is the water clarity is noticable an hour or so after dosing.
I use it when I remove detrius from my bare bottom. Seem to work like a flocculant for me.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back