Microbubbles coming from return... help

ldolor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m at a lost. I leak tested my plumbing and tank prior to cycling and no leaks. However, I didn’t have my tank light on during the process. Well, I programmed my LEDs today and realized I have microbubbles circulating my display. I expected maybe it might have been some microbubbles from my overflow running through my sump. There definitely are microbubbles coming from the “open chamber” of my bean animal overflow (another issue I have yet to figure out), but there are no bubbles making it past the skimmer section and my bubble trap. Therefore, there are no bubbles being sucked into my return pump. Is it possible I have a leak in my plumbing causing air to be sucked into and out of my return plumbing? If so, how can I test for that and how can I fix it?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect just as you say...a leak in the return plumbing sucking air into the pipe as it returns to the tank.

Maybe try taking a piece of siran wrap or something and pull it tight around all the junction points and see if the bubbles stop. This might allow you to find which joint is in question. If not, maybe a small line of pvc cement at the junctions?

OP
OP
L

ldolor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no vortex being generated in the return chamber nor is the water level low. I re-added the filter socks to eliminate any bubbles to be reintroduced by the overflow plumbing. Here are some pictures of the tank. It’s very hard to see the bubbles in these pictures, but they are definitely there.

6829A6F0-378B-4C8E-87FF-364572416B07.jpeg

ECD3E563-6844-4BAE-B693-1D29CC2736C5.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is going to be pump related somewhere in the system. Micro bubbles usually are along the lines of cavitation usually caused by movement from a propeller. I would think if it was a plumbing issue you should see a leak.

I would shut down the skimmers for a few hours just to be sure. Any other pumps going?

OP
OP
L

ldolor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other pumps... I’ll shut the protein skimmer off overnight and see if there’s any microbubbles in the morning. However, I sat there with a flashlight in my sump and didn’t see a single bubble pass through the bubble trap, but it’s worth ruling that out completely.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the leak was on the return side it would leak water rather than suck air. You probably have a bad seal on the suction side of your return pump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your return pump is sucking air or skimmer or other component expelling air to return pump. Assure return pump is submersed.

OP
OP
L

ldolor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no chance the pump is pulling air from the surface. To test this I had the pump about 8” below water and watched for several minutes. There’s no air bubbles coming from the skimmer as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back