MicroBubbles from return pump

oldmansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, driving me crazy, Im running a mighty Jet 326 in a IM 20 Gallon peninsula, for some reason I am getting micro bubbles coming from the pump. Bubbles are forming no matter what I do. Currently,running a Intank media basket in Chamber 1 but the same thing is occurring with a IM media basket. I ordered a new return tube from IM, but that didn't work. when I jiggle the wire to the pump the bubbles stop for awhile and them come back. Makes the tank look cloudy. Not a bacterial bloom cause I can see the bubbles coming from the pump. I"m hoping someone ran into this problem and can shed some light.

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this start right from the beginning or occur over time? If over time, is the pump nice and clean? I'm not familiar with that specific pump, but some impellers when dirty or worn, can cavitate generating bubbles.

I'm sure more knowledgeable members will be along shortly.

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds to me like a possibly the impeller is suspect. Do you have a new one to replace the one in there?

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, did you soak the pump in any kind of solution to dissolve or loosen any calcium or other mineral deposits on the impeller or the cavity where the impeller sits?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at your sump water column right at the pump suction with a flashlight, if you see a lot of bubbles at the suction you'll see millions in the tank. 9 times out of 110, the bubbles are in the sump area then picked back up by the pump, and turned into thousands and thousands of bubbles.

OP
OP
oldmansreef

oldmansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll order a new impeller, now. I didn't soak it in anything. No Bubbles now, there were, adjusted the water level and now there are no bubbles in sump. No Bubbles in tank. I think that's what it was but its a good idea to have an extra impeller on hand. Now the tank is just cloudy so I put a UV in there and see if it clears the tank. Why! no bubbles but now the tank is cloudy so it may be a bloom. Thanks for the help>

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back