Midas Blenny Bully

Psychonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so in my 20gal QT tank I have 2 o. Clownfish a royal gramma and a Midas blenny. The MB is the largest fish in the tank. I noticed the MB and RG getting into it a couple weeks ago, so I noticed the MB had a huge bite taken out of him, and the RG was missing large parts of his fins and I put the RG in an acclimation box

That was about 10days ago. Today I decided to free the RG and sat next to the tank for about 30 min to see what happened. I watched the Blenny come off his little perch time, after time, after time and attack every single other fish in the tank. Both of the clowns would do a little shake thing after he bit them. So I captured the Blenny and put him in the box

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? They are all going into a 120gal as soon as the cycle is done. Should be another week or two. I have already had them in QT for 5 weeks and treated with prazipro and copper, I’d hate to have to get rid of him. You think he’ll chill when he gets into the 120DT?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he would be ok as long as you. Get him to eat in the box. I think the aggression will calm in the larger 120G tank and being the bully I would probably add him last and a couple hours after everyone else so they can find their spots first.

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of semi aggressive fish in a very small tank.

OP
OP
Psychonaut

Psychonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was meant to be 2, ocelarus clownfish (both 1”) a 1.25” RG and a 2.5” Midas blenny. Is that really too much for a QT cycle?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All at once? If so, then yes. Kind of defeats the purpose of QT when you put that many fish in the tank at once. Most don't put more than a couple of fish in QT at a time.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number of fish can be fine for qt, but the personalities of all 4 is that they each want their own territory that they will defend, so those particular 4 can be problematic in a 20g. When they get to the bigger tank there should be plenty of room for them to all spread out.

OP
OP
Psychonaut

Psychonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, lesson learned. I guess I was thinking since I was treating them all anyway, it wouldn’t defeat the purpose.

Well hopefully this thing will be done in a couple days and I can start separating them

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back