Midas Blenny swimming all day and night

NetoPalms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past couple days my Midas Blenny has been swimming non stop without resting or perching. He swims mostly at the top very close to the surface. He has not stopped eating and coloration is yellow and doesn't seem stressed.
Parameters taken last night:
Salinity 1.025
pH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Calcium 460
KH 10
Phosphate .25

Any help is greatly appreciated

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past couple days my Midas Blenny has been swimming non stop without resting or perching. He swims mostly at the top very close to the surface. He has not stopped eating and coloration is yellow and doesn't seem stressed.
Parameters taken last night:
Salinity 1.025
pH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Calcium 460
KH 10
Phosphate .25

Any help is greatly appreciated
Hi, I have a flame Hawkfish that seemingly swims day and night but I’ve had him for ages so no doubt he sleeps when I’m not watching. Midas Blennies are equally as crazy. However, swimming mostly at the top can be strange behaviour. My Midas Blenny was doing that before he got Marine Velvet and died a week later. I of course don’t mean to scare you but just keep in mind that if you see additional symptoms, you might want to act fast.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Midas blenny swims around the surface of the water almost non stop during the day, but during the night he goes and perches on his rock until morning. If the fish is fairly new I wouldn't worry about it. If you have had the fish for a while have their been any changes in the tank, like a new addition. It makes me a little nervous when I fish I've had changes behavior without any obvious reason.

OP
OP
NetoPalms

NetoPalms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him for about 3 weeks and this is completely new behavior. When I got him he would come out from a hole he made his home and swim around every once in a while. Then last week he began perching on my mag float and the last couple of days this new behavior. He was my last addition to the tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Midas stayed near his rock when I first got him and once he got comfortable started swimming around more. The swimming all night seems odd to me, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
NetoPalms

NetoPalms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: my wife works from home and kept an eye on him throughout the day and he kept swimming all day long. When I came home in the afternoon same thing, then finally around 10pm he perched up on my mag float. I will keep updating if anything changes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back