Middle Keys media

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very new to calcium reactors, Krolin 1502, and controller, reefkeeper lite, just monitoring ph until I can find more parts. Got a hand me down reactor with new media but am trying to prepare for top off/changing media. I am unsure what is in reactor right now but I think it is ARM coarse. I was searching and on Amazon I found Middle Keys Marine Life media. I was wondering if anyone has used it and good results or what others are recommending.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thats what Im using on my reactor with a mix of little reborn. The media from the Keys is working good and melting with PH of 6.8 right now to keep cal/alk in an high consumption SPS tank. The media will come with some rocks and shells that you want to remove, so there will be a little work on your site. Reborn is also more common available now if yo want to go with a media that you don't have to remove unwanted material.

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am good with a little work on my end if the media will work. I can take it to work and work on cleaning out the unwanted. I seen it mentioned in so of the threads but no real review of it. As you know you can only trust Amazon reviews so much.
Thanks

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running my reactor ph 6.6 turns off co2 - 6.7 turns on co2. That is the middle of the range I found when I searched for original directions 6.5-7.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media is easy to melt at higher PH, unlike the ARM coarse which according to some reports needs a lower PH to properly melt. So is up to you, now I can tell you that the Middle Key media is just like Reborn, dead corals skeletons and that is the reason it melts easily at higher PH.

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media is easy to melt at higher PH, unlike the ARM coarse which according to some reports needs a lower PH to properly melt. So is up to you, now I can tell you that the Middle Key media is just like Reborn, dead corals skeletons and that is the reason it melts easily at higher PH.
Thank you for all the information. I think I will give it a try and see how it goes. Will order a box and work on cleaning it before I need it in a few months.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back