Middletown/Dayton ohio area in search of tank driller

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware it's a long shot, o well. I need to find a tank driller. I will pay. So if you are in the Dayton/Middletown Ohio area & can help me solve a problem, or know a hobbiest who could message me!

(Yes, I plan on joining a nearby hobby club eventually, likely at the start of the year, but that is weeks away.)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size tank?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware it's a long shot, o well. I need to find a tank driller. I will pay. So if you are in the Dayton/Middletown Ohio area & can help me solve a problem, or know a hobbiest who could message me!

(Yes, I plan on joining a nearby hobby club eventually, likely at the start of the year, but that is weeks away.)

So why can’t you get a diamond/carbide hole cutter made for that? I was just looking at one at Home Depot and they’re around $30-$35. I’m only asking because I am doing the same thing. I am upgrading my breeding tanks and was going to cut the overflow calls myself. Does anybody have any experience with this? I have read about doing it but no pract. Experience. Any reason you’re not doing it yourself? Also If anyone has any tips at all for me please let me know. I’m going to be working on this today if it all possible

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, where is the best place to get bulkheads? My LFS is charging my firstborn child, so I figure anywhere else but there has to b cheaper.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check Bulk Reef Supply for bulkheads and plumbing needs.

Best of luck. If you find someone with experience drilling tanks you should have no problem. It's very straightforward and sounds more daunting than it really is.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why can’t you get a diamond/carbide hole cutter made for that? I was just looking at one at Home Depot and they’re around $30-$35. I’m only asking because I am doing the same thing. I am upgrading my breeding tanks and was going to cut the overflow calls myself. Does anybody have any experience with this? I have read about doing it but no pract. Experience. Any reason you’re not doing it yourself? Also If anyone has any tips at all for me please let me know. I’m going to be working on this today if it all possible

I'm good with woodworking etc. My drill is like 40 years old, lol. No one wants to risk being that individual it seems. I will also call glass company but I felt this route will cause me less fretting of "will it break???".

Last edited:

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the glass panel you want to drill (actually you grind) is not tempered. Important to check first. Tempered glass will shatter if you attempt any grinding. You can check with a laptop brightly lit screen behind the glass and a pair of polarized sunglasses on the front. As you rotate the sunglasses the image will blacken for normal annealed glass but not for tempered as the tempered glass structure scatters the light.
If you are good at woodworking you can drill a hole in glass. Check out the video on BRS. Surprisingly easy if you think it thru and take your time.

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any local fish stores in your area? Most will drill your tank for a fee. if you end up doing it yourself, practice on spare glass you can probably get free off craigslist. You can save money by buying your hole saws and bulkheads off brs or amazon just read the Amazon reviews for quality.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any local fish stores in your area? Most will drill your tank for a fee. if you end up doing it yourself, practice on spare glass you can probably get free off craigslist. You can save money by buying your hole saws and bulkheads off brs or amazon just read the Amazon reviews for quality.

I just learned there is a small one less then 10 minutes away! Calling them on Saturday, or may just go drop in. :)

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatics and exotics Cincinnati area can probably do it for you. For coral and fish Gerbers in Dayton is great

Danny N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check with Brian at Lazy’s Frag House. He won’t do it, but he seems to know a guy for just about everything needed in this hobby. I buy all of my coral and fish from him as well. Only open on Saturday, but you can message him on Facebook. Really nice guy.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check with Brian at Lazy’s Frag House. He won’t do it, but he seems to know a guy for just about everything needed in this hobby. I buy all of my coral and fish from him as well. Only open on Saturday, but you can message him on Facebook. Really nice guy.

I'm not on Facebook. I will Google & call! Is the hobby not strong in this area? If you're referring to the store in Huber I'm 10 minutes from there. :)

Back